Transmission problems reverse good but not forward. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problems reverse good but not forward.

skater488

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer eddie bauer
So i had bought a rebuilt transmission and about a year later the front seal leaks and all my transmission fluid dumped out so about 3 weeks ago, i took the transmission out replaced the front seal and torque converter and put it all back together made sure my fluid is at the proper level and it drove fine for the first couple days but now when i start it up in the morning it goes into reverse just fine but when i put it into drive it doesnt engage it takes a very long time, ive even sat there for 20 minutes waiting and i had to rev it in order for it to engage but once its engaged its fine driving untill i put it back into park and then drive again. can someone help me, i would greatly appreciate it! its my daily and i need it for work. and i dont want to take it into the shops and spend a ton of money on labor, I like doing the work myself. so is there anything i can do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if fluid level is good I would check shift cables next.

i had adjusted the shift cable twice because i had thought that was one of the issues, if i leave it in drive and rev it, would it be a solenoid in the valve body?

not being a transmission expert but I always thought solenoids control shifting from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4. forward and reverse are two separate things unrelated to the solenoids. I would look at the shift cable and if that is good then possibly band adjustment.

Yeah it is. Ill try adjusting the bands. But it doesnt slip when it finally engages. So i keep thinking if its hydraulic

Im no expert, but I did just rebuild a 4r70w for my 5.0 2nd gen and what I understand is if it loses fluid while in drive you will notice some slippage. If it continues to slip it burns up the forward clutch packs, due to the lack of fluid and heat generated. Now you can trace that back to the valve body and the valves and accumulators that control the fluid then back to the linkage but I would guess its your forward drum and clutches.

drop the pan or smell the fluid, does it smell burnt? or if you drop the pan does it have metal shavings in the bottom or on the magnet?

Back