transmission rebuild 1994 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission rebuild 1994 ford explorer

exploder604

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xly
hello all,
i have had problems with my transmission for my 94 explorer xlt . problems shifting up. as soon as it warms up works fine . i had the tranny rebuilt last year . after 5000 km it failed. it was rebuilt again under warranty but another 5000 km later it is failing again.

my question is : do transmission rebuilders just fix what seems to be the problem and not actually rebuild ?

the work order shows that i bought a master rebuild kit, vacuum modulator , torque converter etc .
the excuse i got from rebuilder was "catastrophic failure"(twice) the warranty runs out in may . do these guys just do a hack job and hope for the best?

oooops forgot to mention it is an automatic transmission with overdrive

I know that when I had mine rebuilt at about 190K I had a guy that everyone said was great and had ASE certs and was also a Ford tech do the job. It failed less than a year later. So at that point I had a local shop do it. Never heard a thing about them but whatever they did was much better because it saw another 5 years/70K of hard use after that before I parked it after buying a newer Explorer.
I believe that the first guy just addressed certain issues but the second shop must have done a full rebuild. Auto transmissions are such voodoo magic that I think it's just luck of the draw. I suppose it's best to just clarify up front what you expect them to do, but be prepared to pay

I know that when I had mine rebuilt at about 190K I had a guy that everyone said was great and had ASE certs and was also a Ford tech do the job. It failed less than a year later. So at that point I had a local shop do it. Never heard a thing about them but whatever they did was much better because it saw another 5 years/70K of hard use after that before I parked it after buying a newer Explorer.
I believe that the first guy just addressed certain issues but the second shop must have done a full rebuild. Auto transmissions are such voodoo magic that I think it's just luck of the draw. I suppose it's best to just clarify up front what you expect them to do, but be prepared to pay

Hi Thanks ,
the rebuilder said they did a full rebuild but i highly doubt it . i guess they hedge their bets and charge full price and hope it fails after the warranty expires ....

Back