Transmission rebuilt

Jonny12345

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver , B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 eddie bauer
Hi Guys,

Just had my check transmission light go on my 2003 Explorer. I took it to transmission shop and got it plugged into computer and it said gear 2 ratio, gear 5 ratio errors and solenoid pack. The guy told me that he will replace the sol. pac and that might fix the other codes showing up also. So he replaced sol. pack and he said gear ratio errors still showing up and I have to have trans. rebulit ($2000). I drove it and I can still feel 2nd gear shift lag not hard shift, so I am guessing he is right.

My questions is: Should I put used transmission in or get it rebulit and after I do, what is track record on engines ( another major fix ) for 2003 explorers with 190,000km, do they start to give problems or if I do all reg. maintenance like I have been the engines are good for a while. I love my explorer but just want to know what is best, sell and get newer one or engine will be good for a while.

ANY opinions much appreciated, sorry for long post!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haven't heard much about the engines on the 3rd gens... but I know that the tranny has issues. I just had mine rebuilt. I was going to put in a used tranny but for all I know a used one could cause even worse problems. Maybe you could go with a re manufactured one if you wanna go that route. I decided on a rebuild because of the warranty the shop gave me and the fact that they basically replaced everything and updated the tranny to the current specs. I would go with a rebuild if you have the cash for it. It will give you better piece of mind IMO

Sounds like the servo bores are worn. You could be well served to get it rebuilt by someone that knows their way around the 5R transmission, as it will last a long time if done properly.

Thanks for repsonse Mikey and Josh. I was wondering if there was any opinions on how these 2003 explorer engines are in terms of common problems, reliability etc. I got 190,000km . Just because if I am going to put $2200 into trans. should I sell and get new explorer or are engines pretty solid for another 50,000km ?? Thanks

Thanks for repsonse Mikey and Josh. I was wondering if there was any opinions on how these 2003 explorer engines are in terms of common problems, reliability etc. I got 190,000km . Just because if I am going to put $2200 into trans. should I sell and get new explorer or are engines pretty solid for another 50,000km ?? Thanks

On the internal engine, you should be able to get over 200k in mileage out of it and I have seen many people in here with engines still running good over the 200k mark. As long as you do regular tune up maintenance on it and change the oil and coolant regularily, you should be okay. You may end up changing an external water pump, starter, alternator etc, but with 200k on it that is normal. On the tranny issue, get either a "rebuilt tranny" done correctly with the Ford problems resolved in it or get a "Remanufactured" tranny that should come completely rebuilt with all new internal, "aftermarket parts", which are better parts than the Ford factory ones. Try to get at least a 3 year warranty with either tranny you go with and the remanufactured trannys cost a little bit more than the rebuilt ones do, but it is a better tranny overall. Just an example to look at, my friend recently had a remanufactured tranny installed by "Northeast Transparts"(have a web site by that name) in his 2007 Ford Explorer Sport, cost was $2300 installed with a 3 year warranty. He also called "Continental Transmissions" and they quoted him $1650 for a rebuilt tranny with a 1 year warranty. Rebuilt trannys are rebuilt using used parts that still work and they only replace parts with new ones where that specific part failed and can't be re-used, but on a remaufactured tranny, they replace every part with a new one. Something to consider in making your decision on what kind of tranny to purchase.

Thank for that detialed response Exproblems, that was exactly the information I was looking for.

Back