Transmission replacement or flush, which is best | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission replacement or flush, which is best

Rideaharley99

Reaction score
City, State
fleming island, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
I have a 2014 explorer Limited with 117000 miles and never had fluid replaced, had to take into dealer for what they determined was a Torque converter replacement because I was noticing some slippage in lower gears during acceleration.

I want to try the low cost replacement of fluid vs 4500 converter replacement ., any suggestions if I should drop the pan and replace or should I look for a shop to do the flush?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could do a drain & fill, but you only be changing about 40% of the old fluid. Which to me you would need to do a total or 3 or 4 to get most of the original fluid out and have mostly new. 1 drain and fill and another 2 or 3 at 100 miles intervals. Which you could also diy.

The flush obviously Is a one time deal and would get closer to 90% or more fresh fluid in there. Seeing you have over 100k on the original fluid and have never drained or flushed, I reccomend the flush.

You could do a drain & fill, but you only be changing about 40% of the old fluid. Which to me you would need to do a total or 3 or 4 to get most of the original fluid out and have mostly new. 1 drain and fill and another 2 or 3 at 100 miles intervals. Which you could also diy.

The flush obviously Is a one time deal and would get closer to 90% or more fresh fluid in there. Seeing you have over 100k on the original fluid and have never drained or flushed, I reccomend the flush.
Would flush on the transmission with that many miles not possibly lead to other issues?

Peter

There is no trans pan to remove, and the trans filter can only be replaced if you remove the trans from the vehicle and split the case in half.

Generally, if the trans or torque converter is already starting to have issues, just replacing the fluid is not going to resolve them just the same as fresh motor oil won’t fix a damaged or worn out engine.

Would flush on the transmission with that many miles not possibly lead to other issues?

Peter
It can by dislodging particles that could get caught in the solenoids etc. and cause failures in these parts. My personal preference is to drain and refill over flushing for transmissions that have not been well maintained since new (i.e. 40k-50k service intervals). Also, flushing machines are not the best maintained pieces of equipment. Many times the last vehicle flushed uses a different type of fluid than the next vehicle being flushed. I agree with Toddman about doing a minimum of two and preferably three drain and refills in a short time frame. Then also clearing the learned data by disconnecting the battery for 30-60 minutes at every drain and refill so the learned patterns can adapt to any changes caused by the new fluid.

Peter
Only if you have issues with the tranny already

I did my first service at 140k and it was the simple drain via the 11 mm bolt up front , then poured 5.5 quarts or so .
i would try it. Then drive a bit and do it again. I was told 3 times is a pretty good . Plus it simple then an oil change.

I just did a rebuild on another vechile regret not trying this first after spending 5k.

I did multiple drain and refills, about 3 times, every 50,000 or so and had over 257,000 without any transmission issues except one. Don’t use synthetic in the older Explorers. This was my camping trailer vehicle (1994) from 1997 to 2010. My oil change maintenance results speaks for itself. So many transmission problems are a result of neglect. Bob

Welcome to the Forum Bob and Happy New Year. :wave:

Peter

I have a 2014 explorer Limited with 117000 miles and never had fluid replaced, had to take into dealer for what they determined was a Torque converter replacement because I was noticing some slippage in lower gears during acceleration.

I want to try the low cost replacement of fluid vs 4500 converter replacement ., any suggestions if I should drop the pan and replace or should I look for a shop to do the flush?
try fluid change since your having problems it could help but from what i have read never flush transmissions or power steering fluid only cooling systems and most cars today only need coolant changed infrequently and even rarer flushed. also purchase a factory trans rebuild and new converter
if replacing it 117k is low for trans unless towing a lot . has anyone done a full dealer type scan tool sometimes trans problems are electrical

I did my first service at 140k and it was the simple drain via the 11 mm bolt up front , then poured 5.5 quarts or so .
i would try it. Then drive a bit and do it again. I was told 3 times is a pretty good . Plus it simple then an oil change.

I just did a rebuild on another vechile regret not trying this first after spending 5k.
I have a 2016. Same issues in lower gears. Torque converter issues. Just spent 300.00 new plugs etc like you did, no change, new tranny another 4000.00. Hope changing fluid works for you.

I have a 2016. Same issues in lower gears. Torque converter issues. Just spent 300.00 new plugs etc like you did, no change, new tranny another 4000.00. Hope changing fluid works for you.
I think it got confused . The transmission and valve loss was on my Toyota Tundra at 165k. I said it was a different vechile . After a rebuilt I read that the tundra 07 - 08 usually responded to a full fluid change . I regret not trying before dropping 5k.

I never had any transmission issue on the explorer other than then the hesitation when slow down and decide to move again . It would buckle . That disappeared after I drained and filled .

Ford LV fluid has to be changed like a Honda darn near. 50k drain and refill intervals, no filters to change. The fuild likes to airorate* (however you spell it) when it starts to break down and will cause all types of shudders in these newer transmissions.

Back