Transmission Service on 2004 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Service on 2004 Explorer

nvexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I've been reading a lot of old post on flushing a transmission... appears to be a 50/50 split of opinion as to do it, or not to do it. Most of the post pertains to higher mileage vehicles though.... so I really don't know what to do.

I have just purchased a 2004 Eddie Bauer from my folks with 56K on the clock. I usually do my own trans fluid/filter changes, but this new-to-me dip stickless "sealed" trans on the 04' has me intimidated.... Trans is the 5R55S.

The factory service schedule says no service until 150K, but the Ford service center in my area says to flush the trans every 30K. So by that logic, my rig is already overdue by 26K. The Explorer appears to shift smoothly and has no leaks. I want to make sure that I do all the appropriate preventative maintenance, but I also don't want to cause any trans problems by having the Ford service center flush the trans.

What should I do? Have them flush or just change the fluid and filter? OR Just follow the factory recommendation and only have the fluid level checked?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! I can say is a double ended sword. If you don't do it you will end up rebuilding the transmission. If you do do it.....you may still end up rebuilding the transmissions lol. There's really no good answer for you. My suggestion is to go on your gut. If you think replacing the fluid with fresh ATF, then do it. If you think you will wait it out, then do that. In the end it will really be up to you. Hope you enjoy your explorer!

If you usually do your own trans fluid/filter changes then don't let it intimidate you.

Read this
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

It is not that hard to change your fluid and filter yourself but if you really don't want to do it yourself I would say it is more important that the place knows what they are doing then what they do.

Meaning the tranny can be screwed up by just changing the filter and fluid by a shop that does not know what they are doing or a flush could be the best thing for your tranny if the shop know what they are doing. That said it is much easier to screw up a flush and why I always recommend doing a change not a flush.

I followed the link from previous poster. Drained oil, changed filter and refilled with fresh trans fluid. Make sure fluid level is correct. If you wanted to drive awhile after the change you can drain the fluid and add back more fresh fluid. I just settled for the dump and new filter and refilled and called it good since I had no trans problem. Figured 6-7 qts of fresh oil was better than nothing especially if no problems with trans.

It would not be something I would trust to a quick lube place, that's for sure.

Back