• Register Today It's free!

Transmission-She NO GO Backwards!

MikeyDog

Reaction score
City, State
Crestline. CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi All!

Read a lot on here, NO Reverse on 96 Exp 4X4 4R55E?
135K miles and it look like former owner may have done the filter and oil at 85K?
Runs fine forward?

I put my laptop and USB code reader on and got P0751 and P0756
Shift Solonoid A performance or stuck off
also B?
How do A and B relate to SOL1, 2, 3 ect in transmission manual?

I have the pan off and wonder if I can clean these?
Should I try taking them down or out.
Are there O rings that need replacing.
Which ones are A and B?

Can I check them with an ohm meter to see if they are not open at this point.
Maybe stuck from sludge?

There was slime and goop in the pan.

HELP! I have never been here before.

My girl friends Explorer, and a trans cost more than the thing is worth!

Can I spray clean anything with a can of something?

Should I put an additive in.

I will put a filter and fluid in after cleaning and checking stuff you guys suggest! Then??? To a high priced expert?

Thanks! And thanks for the dowload of the transmission manual!

Great Group!

Mikey in Crestline Ca, nearly a mile high in the San Bernardino Mountains!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can take a reading on the solenoids, SS1 & SS2. Check the internal harness. And check the brackets that hold the noids in, to make sure they are in good shape.

Wasted Day?

Well, STILL no REVERSE!
96 Exploder 4X4.

$60 for Filter, Gaskets, ATF. What a dissipointment.

I thought it was the dirty pan and fluid.

A lot of time cleaning the trans pan and putting in a drain plug!
Drain plug fits on Drivers side under a shifting gear, about second bolt from the front.

Took EVERY solenoid out and cleaned and put 12V to them.

The 2 Solenoids on the passenger side had 25.4 Ohms Resistance.

On the Drivers side 9, 25.4, 25.4, 3 Ohms from BOTTOM VIEW front to back of vehicle. No one open or not clicking.

Re-Connected every thing and buttoned everything up nicely.

Still no reverse and O/D light flashes.

Will put computer on again and see the codes!

So it was a big experiment.

Sad..Don't know what to do next. Probably need a professional.

Still could be a bad Solenoid, althought they click and are not open.

Maybe the fluid paths are clogged?

Oh Well,

Mikey

Mikey, I am sorry to hear you are still having the same problem. I have been "in the same boat" before. You will be glad you now have a drain plug.
OK, have you looked at the reverse servo, to inspect it for damage to the tip, o-rings, or gaskets? And maybe you could check the reverse band also, and if you drop the valve body you will want to check the reverse modulation spool as well (and the separator plate gaskets also). And don't energize the EPC & TCC solenoids with normal 12VDC...I could be mistaken, but someone once told me NOT to check those noids like that, because they run on some kind of modulated wave...I may be thinking of the 5R55E.

I know exactly how you feel...I went through a lot of ATF this year. Hang in there brother.

More Info and Still No Reverse

Thanks Dr. Doom!

I needed some incourgement!

I cleared the codes and the friend drove to town while I ran the laptop this morning. Of couse the battery in the laptop went dead!

We went everwhere that did not require backing. I was waiting for new error codes? I had her try reverse, while the OD light was flashing, the "check engine" light came on. We drove another 2 miles home and
got to the laptop charger.

Now there is ONLY 1 Error - P0756 Sol B?

There use to be 2 Errors?

So all that work changed something? I pulled and cleaned and tested all solenoids before on 12V? Could be a bad solenoid or fluid clogg?

I wish I knew how the trans works. I have not found a trouble shooting chart as related to error codes.

Sure glad I put the drain in. I going to re-use the Mercon I put in last session.

I will take the reverse servo down and clean and check.

****Any more I can do with the pan off without the whole valve body down?

Thanks Much!!!

Mikey, Smelling like old ATF!

put it in first gear ,give it some gas ,then let off .see if first gear does engine braking (slowing of the engine from 1st gear)if it just keeps on rolling then your reverse band is broke .time for a replacement trans .

good luck .

How would you diagnose this one

In first, mine will go forward as well as engine brake. That suggests that the reverse band is not broken. However, in drive, it will not move forward unless I turn off OD. Also, mine does not go in reverse, although I do get a thump when I put it in reverse. What does that suggest to you, Joe? I've been puzzling the solenoid tables and the diagnostics in ASTG but nothing makes much sense. I'm missing something.

Another Joe aka greasemanicure

i am no trans mechanic .i was just offering what you already know .if you have engine braking in 1st gear then at least you know the reverse band is not broken .

your symptoms sound like valve body stuff.

Didn't know that till I read your post

I had not come across the knowledge that engine braking in 1st was a sign that the reverse band was not broken. I appreciate what you do know, Joe.

Joe

No Reverse Still

Well giving up. Phoned a transmission shop, he said no solenoids involved?
The clutch pak? I removed the reverse servo and cleaned it. Parts look perfect. Removed Sol B the second time ( because the computer fault P0756?). Guy say $1100-1800!
Crap. But since I don't know how the thing works, I am just guessing on everything. I wish the computer codes could help? I have been going on what it says.

It is my friends car, and she is going have to find the money somewhere?
My F150 trannie is doing some funny shuttering too now!

Thanks for the help.
Mikey....Depressed in Crestline

you could get a used one from a parts yard for 500.00. i got mine from a towing service for 350.00.check craigslist.

Back