Transmission shifting in/out of overdrive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission shifting in/out of overdrive

Jay-K

Reaction score
City, State
AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer EB
Hoping for some advice on this one;
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer, 4.6L - 6 sp auto.

I've had this problem for a while, but it seems to be getting worse. When i'm cruising along at 80km/hr (50mph) - as most of my commute is, it tends to shift up into OD, and then back down. It'll also hesitate, and bounce back and forth between the gears - it's very frustrating. I can give it some gas and force and downshift - but then i'm just speeding up and coasting down and speeding up again. If I put on the cruise control at 80 - it'll do the same thing.

Any ideas what causes this?

Thanks

Had the same problem. Took it in and had them drop the transmission pan and change the filter. Changed enough of the fluid to stop it from doing this. Going to do it again to get more fluid changed. Don't want to flush the trans as I've read on this forum that flushing can cause more problems.

Jay -
What Hook said, replace the fluid first, if you can do it yourself, change it, and then change it again in few weeks to get more out.

D -
Back in late 90's, I had a 90 T-Bird Supercoupe with 5 speed manual and supercharged 3.8. The 98 Mark 8's LSC with those big LED in the back and 32 valve 4.6 was my dream back then. But then kids happened and 2 door coupe was not in the plans anymore :)
But maybe one day an old TBird or Mark 8 will be my next project.

No problem. I'll keep it till you're ready.

Back