Transmission Slip Help please, new owner!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Slip Help please, new owner!!

Shane911

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
Hi Folks; Just picked up a 99 Explorer V6, 4X4 with 200K Km ( 125K Miles). I got a really good deal on it, so could not refuse.

The last visit the previous owner had at the Ford dealership on March 08 said this (below), so the PO decided to just not bother anymore..

Complaint: Check and report on concern with O/D off light flashes intermittantly while driving/transmission starts to slip while accelerating from a stop or uphill.

Correction: Electronic Transmission Diagnose (DTC #P0731, P0734). Road test with monitor - suspect internal transmission component / recommend to remove transmission for internal inspection.

So, when I drove it, the symptoms are basically crappy acceleration, revs really high, like 5k before it shifts into 2nd.. Other gears seem to be fine. And after a little while of driving the O/D light flashes..

I plan to take the car into a transmission shop in the next few days, but any suggestion on what this issue might be??? And what kind of a repair bill am I expecting?

Thanks for your help..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is being rebuilt right now. I am in Ontario like you and most tranny specialty places (AAMCO and Mr.Transmission) want 3000-3500 for a rebuild.
Took mine to a place on Lake Simcoe near me for 2000....and has same symtoms after rebuild so I took it back.

Thanks for the info^^ I just spoke to Mr. Transmission over the phone, and explained him the symptoms, he said it would be $1200... but he has not even looked at it yet:rolleyes: lol

Hi Folks; Just picked up a 99 Explorer V6, 4X4 with 200K Km ( 125K Miles). I got a really good deal on it, so could not refuse.

The last visit the previous owner had at the Ford dealership on March 08 said this (below), so the PO decided to just not bother anymore..

Complaint: Check and report on concern with O/D off light flashes intermittantly while driving/transmission starts to slip while accelerating from a stop or uphill.

Correction: Electronic Transmission Diagnose (DTC #P0731, P0734). Road test with monitor - suspect internal transmission component / recommend to remove transmission for internal inspection.

So, when I drove it, the symptoms are basically crappy acceleration, revs really high, like 5k before it shifts into 2nd.. Other gears seem to be fine. And after a little while of driving the O/D light flashes..

I plan to take the car into a transmission shop in the next few days, but any suggestion on what this issue might be??? And what kind of a repair bill am I expecting?

Thanks for your help..

Sounds like it could be valve body related. Read the following thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140987

Transmission shops always try to push you to get an entire rebuild instead of troubleshooting what the problem might be. A lot of transmission problems start with valve body problems as previously suggested. Sometimes it could be related to solenoids, wiring, gaskets, sticking spools, loose bolts, etc.

So I had dropped the car off at my local mechanic shop, and basically all for "gear ratio" show up incorrect on the code reader. So, needs a new (used) or rebuild tranny... I found a used tranny at the local wreckers for $1400 and will take about 5-6hrs labor.. Trying to decide if I should bother with it or move on!!!

I assume that $1,400 is in Canadian currency. If that is American currency, then the junk yard is way over priced. Labor should be about $500-$700.

Yeah, that is Canadian, so almost same as US. Here is the pricing they gave me

900 - no warranty
1300 - 6 month warranty
1400 - 1 yr warranty
1500 - lifetime warranty...

And all those warranty include parts and labor if things were to mess up!!

You guess on labor pricing seems right on!!

Hi Shane, welcome. I suggest you do a lot of reading before you jump on the new transmission band-wagon... As stated, many problems are valve body related. I would be considering a new VB if you don't have the know-how to rebuild it yourself. Central Valve Bodies will give you a discount because you are a member here.

Look at it this way, if you get the new VB and it doesn't fix your problems, you could install it on the replacement trans and you will still have the improvements.

My old '93 explorer has almost 300K on the transmission (an earlier version of yours) and last year started acting up badly. I educated myself here and in a few manuals, spend a couple hundred dollars on the VB and that transmission now shifts better than it did when it was new.

^^ I don't know if it's the "valve body", but I have a receipt from the previous owner, dated Aug. 02 when the car had 62000 kms (37000 miles). The work was done at the Ford dealership. It states as below..

Complaint: Check on Trans Hesitating from 40 to 50 km.
Correction: Electronic Trans Diag. Re and Re and overhaul valve body. Flush Tork Converter.

The above work with a few gaskets cost $543 bucks back then. So I am thinking the valve body issue was already address before. The car now sits at 200K kms ( 124K Miles).

:navajo:

Thanks for your help..

Try replacing your modulator valve and calibrate for correct shifting.

The 5R55E doesn't have a vacuum modulator.

Back