• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Slips 2nd-3rd

newrangerowner

Reaction score
City, State
Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 xl
I need some help from the transmission gods on this site. I have been reviewing the threads and there are plenty of 2-3 slips (more then I can count), and I have read most of them. But I didnt see my yr/model/xmission in those. Here is what I have. 2004 Ranger/3.0 auto w/ AC/ 90k miles/ Owners manual says it is a 5R44E based on my VIN. I just bought the truck for $5500 for my 16 yr old son. Seemed to be a good deal at the time based on other ones for sale. Transmission delays when put in reverse. Also the RPM's increase when going from 2nd-3rd gear (slipping at shift). Happens more often once the transmission heats up. The O/D light flashed on one occasions, but I didnt check the codes. I changed the trans fluid. Old was a little dirty, but not burnt. No metal chunks in the fluid either. I used the new bolt provided. Still slips from 2-3. (Have not had the O/D flash since the fluid change. All the other gears seem to shift fine. The threads list many options from changing fluid to getting a rebuit trans. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start with this model of transmission. Many of the threads mentioned 1999 and older models and 5r55D and other models, but my 2004 lists a 5R44E. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Back