• Register Today It's free!

Transmission/speedometer problem.

Lucky178

Reaction score
City, State
Shiloh, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport 4X4
sorry to start things off with a problem. I have a 96 explorer and i am having a problem with the speedometer. when i push on the gas petal it works but when i let go of the gas the speedometer stops working. i have changed the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission and the abs speed sensor in the rear differential. my odometer seems to be working but I'm pretty sure its off. a full tank of gas only got me 140 miles. I'm pretty sure thats not right. i have a 4r55e transmission. i have had the o/d light flash on me a few times and the abs light came on. since i have changed to abs speed sensor these lights have not came back on. what im wondering is if my speedometer problem is a pressure problem in the transmission. when the o/d light came on the transmission began to shift very poorly. after the light went off everything was working good again. i have had the codes ran and i got 2 codes. one was for vehicle speed sensor and the other was catalytic converter. i am wondering if i should get a transmission flush done or should i change the valve body assembly in the transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I dont remember the code for the catalytic converter. the code for the vehicle speed sensor was PO500. I think that was the code. I will be going back to the parts house this afternoon and have it checked again. I replaced the ABS speed sensor because of that code. Prior to that code when i only got the catalytic converter code I changed the vehicle speed sensor because my speedometer wasnt working properly and still isnt.

ok i had the codes checked. the only code showing is PO500. I did not get this code until i changed the vehicle speed sensor. I have noticed i am not shifting from 3 to 4 very well. it starts to shift but then slips out and in for a few seconds and then shifts fine. When i was on the interstate after driving for a few minutes i heard what sounded like the torque converter slamming in place. like it slamed to lock up. this happened a few times. after that the O/D off light began flashing. I also noticed that when i turned off my overdrive that the truck ran better and shifted better. i seem to have the shifting problem when my overdrive is on. is this a mechinical problem or a electrical problem? I am looking to change the valve body assembly. could these problems be caused by that?

Back