Transmission started slipping then boom transmission oil all over engine. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission started slipping then boom transmission oil all over engine.

Beecha1017

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello thanks for your time. Im new to Ford and just bought a 2004 XLT 4.0L explorer for the upcoming winter months. It has 200,x.. miles on it and all was well until I got out of work one day started it up put it in reverse and depressed the pedal. No movement, just revs, took a few seconds to catch and I got to driving home (10 miles). It was slipping slightly untill about 2 miles from my house it was slipping hard and had to really rev engine to get moving. Then I heard what sounded like a waterfall drom the engine. I pulled over opened the hood and saw fluid covering the front of the engine. Majority was towards the bottom by the coolent line. A few questions, do you think me driving that far with low trans fluid could have killed it? Seems like the leak was from the coolent hose/line but i couldnt find one. Could it be the transmission cooler? Im lost as it was riding fine with no slippage or hard shifting into gears. Could simply finding leak fixing it and refilling trans getvme back on the road? Again thanks for your time and help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello thanks for your time. Im new to Ford and just bought a 2004 XLT 4.0L explorer for the upcoming winter months. It has 200,x.. miles on it and all was well until I got out of work one day started it up put it in reverse and depressed the pedal. No movement, just revs, took a few seconds to catch and I got to driving home (10 miles). It was slipping slightly untill about 2 miles from my house it was slipping hard and had to really rev engine to get moving. Then I heard what sounded like a waterfall drom the engine. I pulled over opened the hood and saw fluid covering the front of the engine. Majority was towards the bottom by the coolent line. A few questions, do you think me driving that far with low trans fluid could have killed it? Seems like the leak was from the coolent hose/line but i couldnt find one. Could it be the transmission cooler? Im lost as it was riding fine with no slippage or hard shifting into gears. Could simply finding leak fixing it and refilling trans getvme back on the road? Again thanks for your time and help.

You cannot move now, because the transmission must have adequate fluid in it to operate. You would not have harmed anything by driving with the lack of fluid. Without sufficient fluid, the transmission will simply stop moving the vehicle. Obviously, a failure occurred, allowing the fluid to be pumped out. Locate that leak, fix it, and quite likely you will be on your way. imp

EDIT: Obviously, the lost fluid must be replaced, after the leak location has been determined and repaired. Restoring the fluid to full level is likely the most difficult part of this repair.

and make damn sure you get the correct fluid.

xt5qmc-fro.jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MOT0/MERCONV/N0471.oap

or

2009vv360merconv.jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/VAL0/MERCONV/N0471.oap

Capacity is 12.7 quarts. No idea how much you lost. Hopefully not too much, the cost is going to add up fast.

Thanks for the prompt info! Question this is a job in going to tackle on my own. I am aware there are a special set of tools to disconnect the coolant line. Can you guys point me in the direction of the correct tools I will need for the 6 cy. engine. All I can find are the disconnect tools for the V-8. Again thank you!

You cannot move now, because the transmission must have adequate fluid in it to operate. You would not have harmed anything by driving with the lack of fluid. Without sufficient fluid, the transmission will simply stop moving the vehicle. Obviously, a failure occurred, allowing the fluid to be pumped out. Locate that leak, fix it, and quite likely you will be on your way. imp

EDIT: Obviously, the lost fluid must be replaced, after the leak location has been determined and repaired. Restoring the fluid to full level is likely the most difficult part of this repair.

On my 01 I had tons of issues with leaks between the transmission and the cooler. Nice to see they didn't fix the issue with the 3rd gens.

2 small screwdrivers work far better than any specialty tools. Just need to find the tabs and understand how it works. The Lesile tool is alright but im still far quicker with a couple screw drivers.

I ordered otc 6604 for 15 bucks on amazon, says it fits. Im going to replace the entire trans cooler lines and hoses as the lines were rusted. Couldnt pinpoint the leak so hopefully that takes care of it and its not the cooler. Got the lines for 40 at Ford dealership. Thanks everyone for the advice and help. Ill let yall know how it goes.
Other please confirm, I "think" this is the correct threads to use to fill the transmission with...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381165668090

Is transmission going to have to be raised in order to install new lines? Should I just cut the bad out?

On my 01 I had tons of issues with leaks between the transmission and the cooler. Nice to see they didn't fix the issue with the 3rd gens.

To be fair, it does have over 200k. My mounty has 151k, and no real problems so far, except the wheels bearings were replaced. Any car that lasts 150k+ with just routine maintenance is ok in my book. That's not to say I don't expect everything to start going just about now.

Other please confirm, I "think" this is the correct threads to use to fill the transmission with...

@TechGuru I'll confirm by revealing I use a funnel! No righteous transmission should be filled from BELOW the vehicle!

5r55s_11.jpg

Back