• Register Today It's free!

Transmission swap - 03 into an 04

Captngeetch

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 & 04 Ford Explorer XLT
Hoping someone here can answer this. I have 2 Explorer XLT 4.0l The 03 spun a crank bearing, the 04 has trans issues. She slips when thrown in reverse, and locks up in forward. On the BAD advice of a relative "trans guy" I put a new torque converter in and the results were the same. So My question is can I do a direct swap of the 03 trans into the 04. They are the same trans but i believe they used different solenoid packs (don't think that matters at all), but before I go through that torture of removing the trans again (twice) I wanna be sure it will bolt right up, no driveshaft or TC/lines/linkage issues.

Or if the tranny issue in the 04 is a simple fix such as the solenoid pack, that would be even better news. Then I will just look for a donor engine for the 03.

Thanx in advance.

Not aware of any difference between '03 and '04, so long as both have the same engine and drive train (2x or 4x) options.

You could type the two VINs into fordparts.com and see if the same transmission part number pulls up. Also, double check the door stickers for transmission type.

Back