• Register Today It's free!

Transmission swap - 1996/1997

admsvcs

Reaction score
City, State
Kerrville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Can I swap a 1997 transmission for a 1996 transmission? Both Explorers are 4WD. The 1997 transmission appears to have sensor connectors on it that I do not see on the 1996. Is there a way to adapt the 1997 for a 1996 application or will the swap result in shifting problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

psychically, yes, it will bolt up. electronically, no it will not work. one is a 4 speed (96) and the other is a 5 speed (97) automatic. if you cant find another one from a 95-96 explorer, trying looking for a AWD aerostar trans.

I did not want to expose my lack of forethought, so I did not include the fact that I already had it installed. Ugh! It shifts fine between first and second and third and overdrive, but between second and third there is a noticeable hesitation and the engine increases about 1000 RPM until it catches. The hesitation has improved over time. I was told that the computer may be learning the shifting cycle and compensating somewhat. I have no idea if that is true or false.

I am going to have he old transmission rebuilt and put it back the way it was.

Thank you for your reply!!! Norm

Admsvcs,
Did you ever determine how to complete that install? I am currently looking into swapping a 1996 6 cyl 4wd explorer trans into a 1997 8cyl 4wd explorer. Ive read that the 1996 should have the 4r55e, the 1997 should have the 5r55e trans, they should bolt up, but the electronics dont mesh. Do you have any tips for the electronics side? I am in between doing a complete engine and trans swap or just a tranny swap.

Thanks for any advice
Rob

Admsvcs,
Did you ever determine how to complete that install? I am currently looking into swapping a 1996 6 cyl 4wd explorer trans into a 1997 8cyl 4wd explorer. Ive read that the 1996 should have the 4r55e, the 1997 should have the 5r55e trans, they should bolt up, but the electronics dont mesh. Do you have any tips for the electronics side? I am in between doing a complete engine and trans swap or just a tranny swap.

Thanks for any advice
Rob

Holy dead thread revival! Now that that's out of the way. No that's not going to work. the V8's came with 4r70w's, the 5r55e came in the V6 trucks I believe. The 4r70w is a way better trans anyway.

Holy dead thread revival! Now that that's out of the way. No that's not going to work. the V8's came with 4r70w's, the 5r55e came in the V6 trucks I believe. The 4r70w is a way better trans anyway.

and the bolt pattern is completely different

Back