transmission swap - 2008 AWD into a 2WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission swap - 2008 AWD into a 2WD

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
Hello,

I have a 2008 that has a new trans in it. The 08 is in need of some serious work and I just happened to buy a 2003 XLT 2WD.

Since I just rebuilt the Trans in my 2008 4/AWD Explorer I want to put this trans into the 2003 XT Explorer 2WD. After looking at the transmission I can see they are almost identical except the PTU on the 2003 vs the Transfer case on the 2008. They look almost identical.

Any reason this project would fail?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V6 or V8? If v6 yes they will swap, if V8 no they are different.

Thank you. Both are V6 motors.

V6 or V8? If v6 yes they will swap, if V8 no they are different.

I’m not doubting the answer but when I have run across this the 2wd output shaft is listed as 15.5 inches in length and 4wd is 11.5 inches. Never new the V6 and V8 we’re diffrent. Learn something new everyday. Also the N model of this transmission had a bolt on yoke.

I’m not doubting the answer but when I have run across this the 2wd output shaft is listed as 15.5 inches in length and 4wd is 11.5 inches. Never new the V6 and V8 we’re diffrent. Learn something new everyday. Also the N model of this transmission had a bolt on yoke.

Now you have me thinking of the original question and my response. Yes the transmissions will swap electronically but you'd also have to swap in the 4wd drive line. Like mentioned above the output shaft is actually different.

Would changing the output shaft require a complete disassembly of both trannys? Sounds very involved.

Here’s a twist: leave the diff on the 4x4 trans and use the 4x4 drive shaft on the two wheel drive Explorer... possible?

Or, reduce the shaft length.... curious...

Or, just get the 2wd rebuilt.

Yes disassembly of the entire trans is needed to swap output shafts. I don't see why you couldn't use the trans w/ tcase and driveshaft from the 4x4 in the 2wd.

Back