• Register Today It's free!

transmission swap

72Fins1

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Eddie
I hope I'm not posting this if somebody has made a thread about this before but I have a 94 Explorer 4x4 that dropped the a4ld transmission. I'm wanting to revive it at some point but I would like to ditch the a4ld and 4.0 engine. I have a rebuilt C6 4x4 transmission with transfer case from a 88-96 F series truck. Anyways my question is what would I have to do to get the C6 4x4 transmission and transfer case to fit and can I make it fit without having to throw out the factory seats console and dash panel? If anybody has any information or ideas I can try that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:sawzall:

The C6 is huge it notta gonna fit without some serious sawzall action!

:sawzall:

The C6 is huge it notta gonna fit without some serious sawzall action!
Okay well my main reason is because I have my two trailers pictured here.
trailers%20pic_zpsrqtf7ulc.png

The flatbed I have no issue using with our current 91 Explorer that has a rebuilt transmission but my truck trailer is what I use for scrap metal loads and other heavy loads where it's full. It has a six spring heavy duty leaf pack and a one ton 14 bolt axle and is a 3/4 ton frame so it's not exactly light even when it's empty. I'm just afraid that the a4ld wouldn't be able to take a lot of heavy loads without going out completely. I usually stay under two tons with a lot of times not even coming close to that much weight so am I wrong about the a4ld being able to hold up this kind of use or not? If anybody has any info about this that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back