Exploring XLT

Never Stop Explorering
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stony Plain
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
I have a 1993 Explorer, 4x4, auto transmission. Today my transmission blew, was wondering whether I should put another a4ld in, or if there was a practical swap that I could do. 250k on the Explorer, I was quoted $1250 (cdn) for rebuilt beefed up a4ld, is ther another trani that I could consider?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a tranny with an estimated 70K that i will sell you. Pulled it from a truck with a blown head gasket.

Unfortunately, there’s not really a good automatic alternative. 5 speeds will directly bolt in, but you’d need all the other stuff, clutch, pressure plate, brake/clutch combo. 1250 doesn’t seem like a bad price.

Are there any threads on pulling/installing the transmission? I couldn't find any searching.

I have a 1993 Explorer, 4x4, auto transmission. Today my transmission blew, was wondering whether I should put another a4ld in, or if there was a practical swap that I could do. 250k on the Explorer, I was quoted $1250 (cdn) for rebuilt beefed up a4ld, is ther another trani that I could consider?
@Exploring XLT
In 1990, the A4LD was partially electronic and used a governor along with an unusual torque converter clutch system. Later, this was changed, I believe, to all-electronic, in 1995 models. This was then called the 4R44E, which was a light-duty transmission, and offered as the 4R55E as a heavy-duty unit.

The similarities to A4LD suggest the possibility that with a bit of electronic savvy, one of those might be substituted for your A4LD. Further info I cannot provide, sorry. imp

The 4R55E or 5R55E could be swapped in and controlled with a standalone controller. A manual trans swap isn't that bad, it has been documented with several write ups.

Just got my Explorer back, they replaced all the clutches, new stronger od gear, new hd brazed torque converter, and transgo kit.

Back