LukeDog3D

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
Greetings

92 Sport 4x2 automatic

I recently removed my transmission to get to the source of an oil leak. Everything went smooth. I replaced the tranny fluid and filter along the way. After reinstalling everything, I drove the truck for about 5 miles, and there were no leaks. Then today, I drove it about 25 miles, and I have a slow leak at the tailshaft of the transmission, right where the yoke of the driveshaft goes in. When I removed the driveshaft to take out the tranny, some fluid poured out of the tailshaft. I was under the impression that the driveshaft seals the fluid in there, and this is normal. Is it possible for me to have installed the driveshaft in the wrong orientation? Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Only keyed yokes have a specific alignment for entering the tranny tail...and it wouldn't slide in any other way even if you had a keyed yoke. Your yoke is just splined and can go in any position. The yoke isn't what holds the fluid in..it's the rear seal. Thats what's probably leaking your rear seal...and it needs to be replaced, before the leak gets any worse and you lose enough fluid to burn/seize up your tranny. Is it possible you maybe just overfilled your tranny and the excess is being forced out the rear seal? I'd check your fluid either way, and wipe off your yoke and tail...and see if it continues. The seal could of just been on its last leg, and you just helped it along..or you could of somehow damaged it while removing the tranny. Keep a close eye on it, once the rear seal goes completly..you'll lose fluid fast, and could burn up the tranny. Hope this helps...Good luck!!!
Jason

Probably a seal that gave up the ghost when you r&r's the tailshaft. I have a new replacement seal you can have. PM me. Prolly cost a couple bucks to send it.

yeah probably just a worn seal its not un common for them to leak if they have been in for a long time and then the driveshaft is removed i usually replace the seal if i remove the drive shaft that has been in for a long time

thanks guys, I'm going to change the seal this weekend then.

Back