Transmission Temperature Gauge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Temperature Gauge

msg180

Reaction score
I have a 04 XLT 4.6L V-8 Explorer 2WD with the 3.55 rear end approx 40,000 miles. I tow a 4000lb, probably 5000-5250lb loaded camper. I just got the camper recently and have only towed it locally (approximately 50 miles, it seems to pull it just find around 60-65). In the future I am thinking about taking it on longer runs but I want to make sure I don't roast by Transmission (5R55W). I want to install a transmission temperature gauge because that seems to be the best starting route to make sure you are not baking your fluid. I do not want to tap into the ATF pan or one of the cooling feed lines and install a Temp sensor (unless of course I have to!!). I read on one of these forums about installing a transmission temp gauge that the newer 5R55W's have a electronic temperature gauge already installed and that you could tap into that to monitor your transmission temperature. Does this sound familiar to anybody? I have searched in more detail for a thread or link that explains that procedure but came up short. Please advise as I would rather monitor the tranny first before installing extra coolers or blowing it up and spending the big bucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I would consider adding an extra cooler cheap insurance. It certainly can't hurt anything, especially towing all that weight.

I hope you do get an answer to your question. Having the ability to monitor the temp is a great idea.

Mike

I am curious if you ever came up with a solution for the temp gauge? I am in almost identical situation...same approximate towing weights and all.

Chris

I never found a way to accomplish this... Somebody recommended that I contact Autometer and see if they had any insight to offer. What I found out was that even if you could find the wire and tap into it, there would be difficulties in calibrating the resistance vs. the temperature output associated with their gauges. If somebody can prove me wrong that would be great. I am in a catch 22 as to whether to install an additional tranny cooler OR have a temp gauge sensor installed in the pan so that I can monitor the temperature. Either way will cost a decent amount of money and I do not want to do both. I also don't want a blown 5R55W as I read about frequently in this forum. I think that I might try this approach and knock of 2 birds with one stone...

Install a temperature gauge sensor in the pan + switch out the fluid (as you'll need to remove the pan to install the sensor). Then before I add an additional cooler I will be able to monitor the temperature to see what is really going on.

I have also read that as an alternative to installing an additional cooler that you can buy a 12v fan and install it in directly in front of the factory cooler. Then you can flip a switch and turn the fan on while towing and have a constant additional flow across the cooler and then leave it off all other times.

Somebody also recommended that I find the nearest body of water, dunk my head in 3 times and then remove twice...

I still love my X! I think (and hope) that since I am only towing short distances maybe once a month that I am ok for now... but before I ever take it on a farther trip in the summer I will want to have this all smoothed out.

I don't have my OBD scanner to check (it's mounted in my motorhome in storage) but could you pickup the temperature with one, such as www.ScanGauge.com?

I just installed a ScanGaugeII in my 2002 Explorer Sport and it has the ability to add "extra gauges" besides the standard 12 programmed into the ScanGauge. I was able to create a transmission fluid temperature gauge readout. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I am getting a readout that seems reasonable.

The ScanGauge was $169.00 direct from the manufacturer.

An option...

ScanGuage II Transmission Temperature Readout, 2008 4.6 V8 & 6 speed tranny

Would you please share with me how you got your ScanGuage II to read transmission temperature. I have a 2008 Explorer 4.6 V8 with the new 6 speed auto transmission and a new ScanGuage II. I followed ScanGuage's XGUAGE instructions and entered the TXD, RXF, RXD, MTH, and NAM codes but was unable to read transmission temp. In fact I was only able to read Horsepower, Cylinder Head Temp., Fuel Level, and Transmission Gear Ration with the XGUAGE feature. I know that my Explorer has a different engine, transmission, and maybe even OBD II Protocols. Mine uses CANsf, I believe that in the past Ford used the PWM Protocol. Do you know which yours is? I'm hoping that I might still learn something from your experience. Thanks.

dkl1449 -

My 2002 Sport must be PWM protocol because those were the codes that I entered into my ScangaugeII and I get a reading for what claims to be trans fluid temp.

You say the '08 uses CAN? Did you enter the codes for the Ford CAN xgauges? The codes below are from the xgauge table for Ford CAN.

GAUGE TXD RXF RXD MTH NAM
Trans Fluid Temp 07E0221674 046205160674 3010 000100080000 TFT

Have you tried these codes?

Good luck.

Ford CANsf

Yes I used the Ford CAN codes and entered the codes you show. My local dealer is now unable to confirm a transmission temperature sensor in the 6 speed automatic. How can I contact someone up the ladder at Ford who can tell me if it is even possible to read the tranny temp on my '08?

I'm sorry to say I can't be of any help with trying to find out who in Ford could help. I got lucky with being able to enter the codes for my PWM and get a read out. I'm guessing you have, but I'll ask anyway, did you try the PWM codes to see if they read anything out?

Hey dkl1449:

I found some info at the following link that may/may not help:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM803.pdf.

I'm guessing that your '08 6spd trans is the 6R RWD model which, on page 154 of the document indicates:

"The 6R is a 6-speed, step ratio transmission that is controlled by a standalone Transmission Control Module (TCM), The TCM communicates to the Engine Control Module (ECM), ABS Module, Instrument Cluster and
Transfer Case Control Module using the high speed CAN communication link. The TCM incorporates a standalone OBD-II system..." and it goes on.

It does seem that the 6 spd trans, with its separate TCM and "standalone OBD system", may not pass the TFT out to the ScangaugeII.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything else...

Good luck.

Thank you for your replies. Special thanks for the link to the 2008 MY OBD System Operation. I will forward the document to Linear Logic (mfg. ScanGauge II) for their review. My dealer's Service Mgr. has confirmed that THEIR CANbus OBD scanner DOES read Transmission Fluid Temperature; in fact they use that reading to insure the fluid is up to operating temperature before checking the fluid level. (Oh boy, don't get me started about the closed transmission fluid system; it doesn't even have a dipstick!)

Hopefully Linear Logic can figure out how to access the temperature reading.

Scan Gauge

Just picked up the Scan Gauge II :thumbsup:

Works great!

Just curious what sort of temps are anyone seeing towing and not towing?

Thanks!

non-towing Trans temps...

I run 130-150 temps typically...non-towing. Don't have any data for towing.

Thank you for your replies. Special thanks for the link to the 2008 MY OBD System Operation. I will forward the document to Linear Logic (mfg. ScanGauge II) for their review. My dealer's Service Mgr. has confirmed that THEIR CANbus OBD scanner DOES read Transmission Fluid Temperature; in fact they use that reading to insure the fluid is up to operating temperature before checking the fluid level. (Oh boy, don't get me started about the closed transmission fluid system; it doesn't even have a dipstick!)

Hopefully Linear Logic can figure out how to access the temperature reading.

Thanks for your post. Did you hear anything further from Linear Logic? I had same result on '07 4.6L with 6R60.

DC

Linear Logic

I'm in contact with them and have tried some things they suggested, but... They tell me they will continue to work with me till we get it reading the transmission fluid temperature.
btw. I also talked with MSD Ignition about their DashHawk II and they claim it reads transmission fluid temperature right out of the box.

dkl1449 - thanks for sharing any info on this. It appears we have 2 cases where Scanguage II Xgauge won't read transmission fluid temperature on late models with the 6R transmission using the CAN codes published by Linnear Logic.

To all you posters on this thread, my apologies for the hijacking.

Correction

James DeLong @ Linnear Logic sent me this advice.

"There is something you could try that seems to work in most cases. Increment the 4th number (07E0221674) to 1, then 2, and so on checking along the way to see if any values are reported."

I changed the 4th number from 0 to 1 and the TFT value now shows in Gauges:)

Many thanks to James.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dkl1449...

did you ever get trans fluid temp to read on your scangauge?

Back