Transmission trouble in my 2002 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission trouble in my 2002 Explorer.

cqdx73

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi

My name is Jerry
60 years young
6 kids
11 grandchildren
40 years Communication Tech for ATT
Ham radio operator - mostly morse code

I really like your forum

My wife has a 2002 4x4 Explorer 160000 miles that we bought new.
Having overdrive problems - stuttering at highway speed - that go away when I turn OD off.
Also some 2nd gear free reving.
I am told 2nd gear and OD are one derived from the other.
Codes PO735 & PO775 - 5th gear out of ratio & transmission pressure control solendid B.

A local transmission shop tells me that it has an internal fluid leak due to a Ford design error. Such that an actuator rod rubs on the transmission case, thus causing the leak and my OD problem. And that the only fix is to install a lower mileage used transmission for 2200 dollars.

Sounds a little far fetched to me.

So has anyone ever heard of this problem, or is this shop blowing smoke up my ears.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would try a solenoid pack first, if its not that, 99% busted band or servo.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. The solenoid pack & servo bores are common issues on this transmission. Installing a used transmission isn't the solution since these issues tend to surface around 60K miles. You are very fortunate to get 160K out of it. I think that this is the most that I've seen. Check WWW.ServoBore.Com. This is another option: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-Mercury-Explorer-5R55W-5R55S-5R55N-Servo-Fix-/300393078419. http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/index.html.

Sounds like you have a servo bore problem or overdrive servo piston broken. Case issues are more common on 5R55W transmission which was used on early build 02 models.

I have an 02 and my trans slips or better yet doesnt do anything when going into 3rd. Its skips 3rd and goes straight to 4th. Now before I replace the tranny & have the same problem in a couple of 1,000 miles is their a fix that I can get for it? Or should I just forget the fix and buy a used trans and look into having the parts that Brooklyn bay was talking about checked on the used one I'll buy?

Back