Transmission Trouble with '92 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Trouble with '92 Explorer

1992explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Lantana, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have a manual transmission in my 92 explorer. Lately, it has become more difficult to get into gears. Mainly reverse and 1st. Sometimes I will hear a slight grinding when switching into 2nd or 3rd. My "mechanic" said that Fords are notorious for developing a synchronization problem over time.

IS what he says true?

Has anyone had this problem or heard of it?

Any suggestions of an inexpensive way to fix this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Syncros dont really mean much when you are stopped like you would be for shifting into 1st and reverse. However bad syncros are the likely culpret for the 2-3 grind you are talking about.

If the syncros truly are damaged already then the only way to fix them is to replace them. HOWEVER before doing that i reccomend new trany fluid and that could smooth up the shifts alot. On the 3000GT/Stealth fourm everyone reccomends BG syncroshift, also known as Penzoil or GM syncroshift.

Hmmm. I kind of suggested that but the guy told me that there was no transmission fluid in manual cars. Where do I check/add this fluid?

How many miles? Mine had a third gear problem at 90,000-miles. The syncros bound up and caused third gear to crack.

Yes there is fluid in all gear boxes. Most likely it is automatic transmission fluid, however check you owners manual. Transmission has fill and drain plugs on the side.
The symptons you describe sound like a slave cylinder and throw out bearing problem. But definately change the fluid first.

I have about 169K. This problem started about 5k miles ago. I have purchased a new Explorer and I am just trying to get this in selling shape. If it is not the fluid, am I screwed?

1992explorer said:
Hmmm. I kind of suggested that but the guy told me that there was no transmission fluid in manual cars. Where do I check/add this fluid?
I'd find a new mechanic pronto :eek:

The symptons you describe sound like a slave cylinder and throw out bearing problem.

Sounds expensive. Is it something I could fix?

If you know how to remove a transmission, then want to replace a clutch, and know how to install clutch, then put it all back together?

It's not hard work, just a lot of work.

1992explorer said:
Sounds expensive. Is it something I could fix?
it is expensive, if you do it yourself its not to bad. maybe 3-400 bucks if you replace the clutch too and know how and have the tools. i was quoted 950 for mine to have it done.

i got mine done for $600

Well, that's less than I thought, but more than I want to spend. I guess I'm stuck.

Anyone want to buy a '92 explorer?

1992explorer said:
Well, that's less than I thought, but more than I want to spend. I guess I'm stuck.

Anyone want to buy a '92 explorer?
Thanks but i already have one ;)

Back