• Register Today It's free!

Transmission trouble.

steveinlv

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 eddie bauer control tr
bougt a 96 explorer eddie bauer control trac and the tranny hangs on going into 3rd and slips. I adjusted the bands and it helped but still slips when the air con is on. Idid not flush the tranny just drained and added new. Also when it does shif into 3rd it will imediatly go into 4th. Could this all be the shift selinoid 3. or should I check other areas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. Did you replace the filter when you replaced the fluid? Did you check the condition of the valve body gaskets to see if they were flaking apart? Were the valve body bolts loose?

transmission

I had the fluid changed at a transmission shop. They said things looked ok, I also adjusted the bands I got the threads off previus treads on this site. I set overdrive at 2 full turns back and the intermediate I played with and it is at 2 also it slipped quite a bit at 2.5 turns could not get the torque wrench on it. the milage is 170,000 solinoid three code comes on. Should I replace solinoid and move band to 2.5 Thanks

transmission

ok will do with bands. code comes up shift solinoid # 3. Also it feels like it shifts 4 times with o/d off. Could it have the 5 speed option and is the fix the same on the band adjustments. code from autozone was p0761

adjusted the bands back to spec. seems to have trouble sticking and flaring from 2-3 when air con. is running and engine seems to labor and is very sluggish. can;t figure if it is the engine or tranny causing the lack of power and shifting problem. temp does'nt appear hot, but battery gage lowers. Still feels like it shifts to 4th with o/d off could it be a little slip when it does go into 3rd.

Back