Transmission valve body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission valve body

Reaction score
City, State
Bessemer City
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT
My shift sensor isn't working between 1st and 2nd gear, it won't change unless I let up on the gas, after that it up and down shifts just fine. Just wanting to know if the valve body has to be removed to change that sensor? It's a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 with 200k miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a flashing O/D light with a code? The symptom that you're describing usually points to a broken band. Did you adjust the bands?
Yes the OD light does flash after you drive it a few minutes but the engine code comes up with the shift sensor. Not even sure anymore how to adjust the bands, I've never worked on a transmission on anything since I was young.

I already knew the code, what I ask is IF you can replace this shift sensor without removing the valve body or do I need to remove it?

The shift solenoids are on the valve body, and are replaceable but they might not be the entire problem. It could have a broken or out of adjustment band, leaking servo piston, a bad connection in the bulkhead connector or the wiring harness.

The shift solenoids are on the valve body, and are replaceable but they might not be the entire problem. It could have a broken or out of adjustment band, leaking servo piston, a bad connection in the bulkhead connector or the wiring harness.
TBH I'm really not sure what/where the issue is, as I said after letting up on the accelerator it shifts into 2nd gear, has no issues with the other gears and downshifts with no problem back to 1st. The transmission shops in my area want to charge way too much for testing or right out wants to rebuild it completely.

Back