Transmission vs Transfer Case or what? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission vs Transfer Case or what?

LadyDivinitie

Reaction score
City, State
Buckeye, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
I had my 1995 Eddie Bauer Explorer worked on recently. She had a real bad vibration problem and a thunk when I put her in gear. We had both U-joints replaced on the main driveshaft (they were way torn up). I have previously done the upper and lower balljoints, shocks all the way around and had the transmission rebuilt (just to give you some background). As I was driving her home from the shop, after the Universal Joints had been done, I was doing 75 on the freeway and she was running beautifully. Then there was a loud THUMP! and she began a really loud racket and was smoking really bad. After I pulled over she was pouring fluid from the back of the transmission in between the transmission and the transfer case. I limped her down off the freeway and she went into gear fine (until she ran out of fluid)no hesitation, no loss of power, but there was a sound like nuts and bolts rolling around in a coffe can (very loud and you could feel quite a bit of vibration). My transfer case is a BW1354, she's a 4x4, but I don't have the front drive shaft in (another LONG story) and I have never tried to run her in 4WD. Could she have torn up the Transfer Case even if the 4WD was not engaged? Is it my transmission out again? HELP! I have been trying to get all the problems worked out with her for almost a year now, with moderate luck. I think this is the last hill to climb, but I don't know much about 4x4's. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

W O W.

OK, pouring fluid between the tranny case and the tranny:

This means there is some housing damage, might be better if you just find a tranny/tcase and swap them out.

If your transfer case blew a chain, or gear not sure on that model, it would definately make that sound...

Do you have any further details? Whats the history with the tranny/t-case in the past?

Daniel

"until she ran out of fluid" <-- that means the transmission ran out of fluid because the transfer case will operate even if its dry (although it would heat itself to death). The problem sounds like its the transmission, unfortunately :(

"until she ran out of fluid" <-- that means the transmission ran out of fluid because the transfer case will operate even if its dry (although it would heat itself to death). The problem sounds like its the transmission, unfortunately :(

Agreed. But I have seen t-cases go like that and blow that seal between the tcase and the tranny, and make those exact symptoms....tranny would be less likely to make that rattleing noise I would think....But I wasnt there and cant see it...

Daniel

Being as to how the T-Case is the cheaper and easier to remove and split, I'd probably start by dropping the C-case and seeing what's up at the rear of the tranny and split the T-case.

I have seen t-cases go like that and blow that seal between the tcase and the tranny, and make those exact symptoms....tranny would be less likely to make that rattleing noise I would think....But I wasnt there and cant see it...
But if the transfer case lost all of its fluids, it wouldn't stop the vehicle as he described. It would overheat, destroy the seals and then crack the casing after its bone dry. A transmission that is loosing its fluid will be sucking air in at the filter and the engine will just rev as if it was in Neutral.

I agree with you that a transfer case thats grenaded will sound like marbles rolling around. But even if the chain has been torn to pieces, the vehicle will probably keep going provided its hasn't already been disabled by the initial blow as the transfer case's main shaft should stay intact.

But yeah, we can keep discussing this but the only real way is to get under the vehicle and see whats cracked.

provided its hasn't already been disabled by the initial blow

Which can cause housing damage and tail housing cracks/breakage that causes the tranny to loose its fluid. The end result being the tranny stops working.

Im not trying to argue, Just stating what Ive seen, and reminding her to look at the housing for cracks so she doesnt get any surprises after the fact... like I did :D :thumbsup:

I found that it was the t-case, but it had cracked the tranny and broke a few parts of the tail housing when it went, causing her exact symptoms.

I was doing 75 on the freeway and she was running beautifully. Then there was a loud THUMP!

At 75 MPH, this is highly possible.

Daniel

More Info.....

Okay. The only information I have on the transmission is that it detonated and had to be rebuilt a year and a half ago. The Transfer case was supposed to be done at the same time, but I don't know if it was done because it wasn't documented on the receipt from the shop that did it (another long story). So I know the transmission has been rebuilt but the transfer case id iffy. I know it would not engage or even try to go 4WD before all this. The truck will still move if I add transmission fluid to her. It's just once it all leaks out from in between the transfer case and transmission she falls out of gear. When she's in gear at a sit still she idles fine, she doesn't hesitate to move, she just makes the God awful rattle, nuts in a coffee can sound. My question on a transfer case is this: Is a transfer case always in motion? or is it only engaged when in 4WD? My husband and I have been leaning toward it being the Transfer Case since the transmission is having no problems functioning (other than the profuse leak from in front of the extension housing going into the transmission) Any further thoughts?

One More Thing....

When we were checking out the leak.....the Transfer Case is way loose. Would it going out at high speeds knock it loose like that? Thanks again for all your help!!
I am taking her to a mechanic to diagnose on Wed the 23rd so he can take a look at it. I'll let you know what he says....may help you guys help me.

When we were checking out the leak.....the Transfer Case is way loose. Would it going out at high speeds knock it loose like that? Thanks again for all your help!!
I am taking her to a mechanic to diagnose on Wed the 23rd so he can take a look at it. I'll let you know what he says....may help you guys help me.

That near confirms what I was saying. Ill bet the T-case bombed and took the extension housing with it.( I think I called it a tail housing, but same thing basically-2WD = tail housing 4WD = extension housing)

NO the transfer case should NEVER be loose. And yes , going out at high speeds is hwat does it. if it binds up, all thats keeping it from spinning with the driveshafts is the bolts on the extension housing and the housing itself. There is a seal there that holds your tranny fluid in your tranny. I have had this EXACT thing happen to me on a Ranger and again on a Bronco II I had.

Good luck I hope your Tranny / Extension housing is fixable. It can possibly be welded dependng on how its cracked, but Id replace it if I were you :nono:

Daniel

I'm still thinking "drop the transfer case and see what damage exists in the extension housing". You may get by with replacing the extension housing and replacing the T case... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm still thinking "drop the transfer case and see what damage exists in the extension housing". You may get by with replacing the extension housing and replacing the T case... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Ditto. thats the BEST place to start. Good Luck! :biggthump

Daniel

Agreed, get under there and see whats cracked.

Its pretty easy to crack both the tailshaft housing and the case halves of the transfer case as both are casted aluminum/magnesium.

I dunno if the tailshaft from your transmission's tailshaft is the same as the 5R55's but I think I might have an extra tailshaft housing in the garage - just pay for the packaging/shipping and its yours if you need it.

just pay for the packaging/shipping and its yours if you need it.

Thank you so much. I will absolutely let you know. You guys have been so awesome and helpful. Thank you! ;)

I'm assuming this is an automatic, but on my manual the transmission is completely sealed from the transfer case. There is even a little drain built into the front of the transfer case (or maybe it was the extension housing?) on the bottom. If this is the case on the automatic then the output shaft must have grenaded the seal?

I'm assuming this is an automatic, but on my manual the transmission is completely sealed from the transfer case. There is even a little drain built into the front of the transfer case (or maybe it was the extension housing?) on the bottom. If this is the case on the automatic then the output shaft must have grenaded the seal?

The way she says the t-case is "loose" Im thinking the bolts that hold the t-case to the tranny either broke, broke the ext housing, breaking the seal.

Im betting on a crackes/broken ext housing, unfortunately :(

Daniel

Today is the Day!!

Just wanted to let you all know that after a long ordeal. my Explorer is at the shop, so I will be able to tell you who is right very soon. Pray for the best, my truck is breaking my bank account....LOL

:thumbsup:

Back