• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Whining?

Larry M. Shepherd

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have a 1991 Explorer XLT 4x4 with the manual Mazda transmission in it. I recently did a fluid change and now it's whining. It never whined before I did the fluid change. I used the recommended automatic trans fluid (mercon). I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and if so what they did to to fix it? Also what other kind of fluid could I use? I have heard of some people using Royal Purple Synchomax, is that a good way to go? Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

I have recently done a fluid flush with specified fluid. I also replaced power steering pump, but didn't get the pulley all the way on.

Pulled ps pump back out and set the pulley back down with a new pulley, and still hear the whine. Although i'm not sure if the ps pump is the issue.

I have heard of transmission whine. I have a transmission mount that I am going to put on as preventative maintenance.

I'm also checking out the drive line just to make sure. It would be nice to know if you hear anything. I will also let you knos if I run into any info.

Check the top of the transmission about 12" back from the shifter, if it's wet the rubber plugs in the back of the top cover are leaking. These MUST be replaced with freeze plugs or you will continue to loose fluid. This can be done from inside the explorer without dropping the transmission.

Back