• Register Today It's free!

Transmission wiring harness

bigbucks

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
1979, Explorer, 4x4
Im trying to fix my Ford explorer 1997 transmission harness. I cut out the old one not having the knowledge of the complications it would cause. In doing so everything was good untill I came to realize that the connection for the speed sensor was different. Once I realized this I cut off the connection that was on there and wired in mine thinking that it would work however it has not my car does not shift properly the speedometer cable the speedometer does not work correctly does not work at all please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is your 97 a 4.0 OHV, a 4.0 SOHC, or a 5.0 V8?
I likely have a new harness for you I have SEVERAL 97's and many transmissions in storage

or you can remove and repair your existing harness, we have the schematics

is your 97 a 4.0 OHV, a 4.0 SOHC, or a 5.0 V8?
I likely have a new harness for you I have SEVERAL 97's and many transmissions in storage

or you can remove and repair your existing harness, we have the schematics
I cut the old one out and tossed it thinking I had the right one. Here is some info from the tags that are on the trans, and transfer case.

IMG_20220401_103117.jpg IMG_20220401_103534.jpg IMG_20220401_103616.jpg IMG_20220401_103149.jpg

Jesus that’s a clean truck.

Okay so now we know it’s a v6

What engine do you have? 4.0 pushrod or sohc

We know you have a 5r55e automatic and a tod control trac t case now we just need to know what engine you have

In 97 the transmission harness should have a connector on it that allows you to remove the entire trans harness in one pieces

Yes it does , I took it off and replaced it with I used one from I pull - upull. When doing so I didn't think that it was a problem. Once I had gotten to the V.S.S. IS WHEN I realized the connection to the VSS was different. Not thinking I cut off the old one and tossed it. So I spliced in my connection and that's when my problem began. Oh and ya it the SOHC ENGINE.4.0

Yes it sounds like you grabbed on from a slightly different year or engine! The wires move around model to model

Okay so if you can find a 97 sohc 4.0 trans harness with the correct wiring and connectors it would likely work

Does your 97 have a speed sensor in the tailhousing? The harness you got did not have this plug?

In 98 they got rid of the tailhousing vss

Back