• Register Today It's free!

Transmission woes - code P0745

EdmondsXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonds, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 AWD
Hi all, I'm having shift issues on my '03 XLT V6. It's got just over 197k on it and recently started slow/slip shifting on 2-3 mainly, sometimes it just keeps revving past 4k then I'll lift the throttle and it shifts, or will be a rather hard shift when it finally goes and the O/D light will start flashing. It pulled a code P0745 which seems to indicate the solenoid is going out. I pulled one from a junkyard Explorer and swapped it in yesterday, filled the fluid back up, and reset the PCM as I've seen instructed. Driving around yesterday and today it seemed a little better but couldn't quite tell since it's relearning everything still, but this afternoon I got the same issues and the O/D light started flashing again. I know it was a risk to use a junkyard solenoid vs a new/reman unit, but at $20 vs $135+ it seemed a reasonable starting place.

Any thoughts on what to check/try next? It's still drivable as is and I want to replace it sooner than later, so don't want to put too much into a possible fix.

From my experience, I think you are heading for a new or rebuilt transmission. I have an '04 XLS and I had the code for the solenoid back in 2017 at inspection time and in Pennsylvania it wouldn't pass the "OBD emissions" check so I had to replace the solenoid. I did that in April and it was fine until in June when I was camping in Tennessee it all of a sudden stopped shifting past 3rd. The day I was meant to head home I found a transmission shop and they said the transmission needed replaced. Instead of having it done while away from home i drove it in 3rd on back roads and had to stop for the night before i got home. Next morning i got on the road and it was shifting because it was "cool" so i just stepped on it and stayed on the highway and made it home. Ended up having it replaced with a rebuilt tranny from a local shop.

Back