doradexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Ronkonkoma, LI NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 94 EB
No First Gear- A4LD

Hi Everyone-
I have a 94 EB, about 160K on the clock. I bought it with a "locked up tranny", turned out the TC solenoid froze, so it ended up being a $15 fix. I flushed the fluid, dropped VB and cleaned, new gaskets, new solenoids. Fast forward 18 months or so.
Pulling a small camper trailer about 6 weeks ago, I forgot and left in OD. Pulling through stop and go traffic, the tranny overheated and dumped about 3 quarts. I let it cool and refilled, then drove the rest of teh way home (@20 mi) at regular speeds in D, no problems. Tranny has been fine up till now. However, last week I got cut off in traffic and had to make a hard right hand turn under throttle. I thought I heard a 'pop' but i'm not sure. After that, i pulled into a parking lot and had no forward gears. I let it cool down (and myself) a few hours and looked at it again. Very small amount of fluid on ground, but not much. I have reverse, 2,3,and OD, but no first gear.
If i start in manual 2 and move into D or OD, it shifts fine, unless i come to a stop, then no 1 again.
It upshifts and downshifts through 234 just fine. If i manually go to 2 and then 1, it feels like the tranny catches and slows the truck, but if i give it gas, it feels like neutral.
When warmed up, the fluid level looks high, but appears to be in ok shape.
Help!! :)
I am planning to drop the VB and clean it again, and see if there is anything in the pan, but I have no $$ for a rebuild, but I do have an 'extra' 94 w/ I think a good tranny. I just didn't really want to remove two transmissions in a weekend.
Thanks in advance for your advice, I know the A4ld's suck, but otherwisw it's been great.
Scott

Anyone? Please help, it's my only transportation
Scott

check your cable adj maybe

Have you tried it in D? Your problem sounds like the overdrive one way clutch. This is bypassed when you put it in D, 1, or 2 by the overdrive clutch (this is not the the one that gives you overdrive). The transmission is much stronger in D than OD. You can drive in D and shift it into OD. However, if it shifts out of OD you will need to put it back in D. If it works, I would just leave it in D.

Back