• Register Today It's free!

Transmission won't go forward

Mickelsons

Reaction score
City, State
Boring, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 explorer
I just got my Explorer off of the tow truck, so I have not had time to search anything out yet, but thought I would ask to see if I get a quick answer.
I bought a 1991 Explorer about a month ago, and today without any warning. I lost forward gears, I drove it from my work a couple of blocks to the credit union shut it off, and when I came back to it 10 minutes later I backed out of the parking spot, but then it would not go into forward gears. I checked the fluids, tried all the different gears, but it will only back up, it does not load down the engine or anything when putting it in forward gear, it feels as if it is still in neutral.
any quick thought??

Thanks
scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it says 98000 on the odometer, but I am assuming that it has flipped once. Reverse works great.

I just got my Explorer off of the tow truck, so I have not had time to search anything out yet, but thought I would ask to see if I get a quick answer.
I bought a 1991 Explorer about a month ago, and today without any warning. I lost forward gears, I drove it from my work a couple of blocks to the credit union shut it off, and when I came back to it 10 minutes later I backed out of the parking spot, but then it would not go into forward gears. I checked the fluids, tried all the different gears, but it will only back up, it does not load down the engine or anything when putting it in forward gear, it feels as if it is still in neutral.
any quick thought??

Thanks
scott

i had the same problem as above as well as no reverse. after a ton of research on these boards (thanks to users 'Opera House' and 'Glacier991') i found my symptoms matched a valve body gasket problem. i called my tranny guy to ask him to take a look at the valve body gasket.
it only cost me $218 to have the gasket replaced. the tranny guy told me this was the worst blown gasket hes ever seen. it was split in two different places and it looked like someone tried to scrape it off with a putty knife.
now it works good as new...

Thanks for the info, I have talked to a couple differant trany guys, and am waiting on some part prices right now, but I am thinking about starting with the VB and going from there, hopefully I will be able to inspect the other things with out pulling the whole tranny.

NO OR DELAYED FORWARD ENGAGEMENT, REVERSE SATISFACTORY
1. Improper fluid level.
2. Damaged or improperly adjusted manual linkage.
3. Low main control pressure, forward clutch center support seal rings leaking.
4. Forward clutch assembly burnt, damaged, or leaking. Check ball in cylinder or leaking piston seal rings.
5. Valve body bolts loose or too tight.
6. Sticking or dirty valve body.
7. Transmission filter plugged.
8. Pump damaged or leaking.

Back