Transmission | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Transmission

xibalba

Reaction score
City, State
New Braunfels, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 2wd
I've got 216K on original tranny. It will not engage immediately in any weather. It takes anout 10 minutes to warm up or you can rev the engine and it will engage. Any suggestions?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
this true in forward AND Reverse ?

Vanquish502

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT
An A4LD thats lived to 216k deserves a rebuild or let the poor thing die.

nascar_intimid

Reaction score
City, State
st.catharines,ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 eddie ..'02 limited
Vanquish502 said:
An A4LD thats lived to 216k deserves a rebuild or let the poor thing die.
you didn't see his year..'93. 1993 and 1994 were the best of the A4LD. Mine has 250k and drives like brand new (knocking on wood)....

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
So you have NO forward gears, but reverse is ok ?

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
well if the fluid level is ok, and the shift linkage is ok, nothing has come loose.... check the filter to make sure it isn't plugged; rebuild the valve body and pray those fix it. If not you are most likely looking at either center support seals for the forward clutch seals or a failed forward clutch for some reason, either (center or forward) of which is a rebuild item.

I should add one thing.... low line presure COULD cause no forward but still allow reverse due to the boost. That could be caused by a leaky valve body... another place a pressure test would be helpful.

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
nascar_intimid said:
you didn't see his year..'93. 1993 and 1994 were the best of the A4LD. Mine has 250k and drives like brand new (knocking on wood)....

yep got 230000 on mine currently and its a 94 works great

JWood

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 2WD 2002 XLS 2WD
If 93 was a good year for the A4LD....

then mine is the only one in the bunch that must have been made on a very dark and bad day in Detroit or wherever the h*** it was made.

I_love_toyota

Reaction score
City, State
Nampa, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
194k, and similar but not as bad problem. Just bought this thing, and was told that it had a rebuilt tranny, not the only reason for the buy, but felt a little better about having to settle for an american car, and a Ford at that.

When cold, no d or OD, and only have 1 and 2 if I manually select them. If I just put it od, only have first, then I move her down to 2nd, and have second. Within as mile I have drive, and then by 75 I have OD

I know that the auto hubs are first on the replacement list, but what is first in direction of going on to fix the tranny?

Obviously a flush, filter and fill, but vacuum modulator, or is it electric?

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
toyota... get a six pack and go read the "A4LD rebuild diary" in the useful threads. You probably have valve body and governor issues.. the good news is you CAN fix em yourself. Tn_Explorer did just that and put up a nice thread on it. Do an advanced search using his name and you will find it.

I_love_toyota

Reaction score
City, State
Nampa, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
Thx, I will. Gonna have this thing for a while, 24 month payment plan :fire: so want to be as trouble free as can get