• Register Today It's free!

Transmission

xibalba

Reaction score
City, State
New Braunfels, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 2wd
I've got 216K on original tranny. It will not engage immediately in any weather. It takes anout 10 minutes to warm up or you can rev the engine and it will engage. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this true in forward AND Reverse ?

An A4LD thats lived to 216k deserves a rebuild or let the poor thing die.

Vanquish502 said:
An A4LD thats lived to 216k deserves a rebuild or let the poor thing die.
you didn't see his year..'93. 1993 and 1994 were the best of the A4LD. Mine has 250k and drives like brand new (knocking on wood)....

So you have NO forward gears, but reverse is ok ?

well if the fluid level is ok, and the shift linkage is ok, nothing has come loose.... check the filter to make sure it isn't plugged; rebuild the valve body and pray those fix it. If not you are most likely looking at either center support seals for the forward clutch seals or a failed forward clutch for some reason, either (center or forward) of which is a rebuild item.

I should add one thing.... low line presure COULD cause no forward but still allow reverse due to the boost. That could be caused by a leaky valve body... another place a pressure test would be helpful.

nascar_intimid said:
you didn't see his year..'93. 1993 and 1994 were the best of the A4LD. Mine has 250k and drives like brand new (knocking on wood)....

yep got 230000 on mine currently and its a 94 works great

If 93 was a good year for the A4LD....

then mine is the only one in the bunch that must have been made on a very dark and bad day in Detroit or wherever the h*** it was made.

194k, and similar but not as bad problem. Just bought this thing, and was told that it had a rebuilt tranny, not the only reason for the buy, but felt a little better about having to settle for an american car, and a Ford at that.

When cold, no d or OD, and only have 1 and 2 if I manually select them. If I just put it od, only have first, then I move her down to 2nd, and have second. Within as mile I have drive, and then by 75 I have OD

I know that the auto hubs are first on the replacement list, but what is first in direction of going on to fix the tranny?

Obviously a flush, filter and fill, but vacuum modulator, or is it electric?

toyota... get a six pack and go read the "A4LD rebuild diary" in the useful threads. You probably have valve body and governor issues.. the good news is you CAN fix em yourself. Tn_Explorer did just that and put up a nice thread on it. Do an advanced search using his name and you will find it.

Thx, I will. Gonna have this thing for a while, 24 month payment plan :fire: so want to be as trouble free as can get

Back