• Register Today It's free!

transmission

arthur gordon

Reaction score
City, State
st louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer eddie baur
I have 06 Explorer 4.0L, and sometimes when trans is changing gears the rpms go up to 4000. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 06 Explorer 4.0L, and sometimes when trans is changing gears the rpms go up to 4000. Is this normal?

NO, absolutely not. Some component within the trans is slipping, and will likely soon overheat or break. Scan for trouble codes.

Welcome to the forum. As stated above it is not normal, it sounds like the trans is slipping which usually means a rebuild is in order.

NO, absolutely not. Some component within the trans is slipping, and will likely soon overheat or break. Scan for trouble codes.
The problem there is not a light on to have checked out and even so some of the stores that read the codes are not doing it now. It only happens when i'm accelerating kind of heavy like on an interstate entrance ramp. When I take off from a stoplight it does not slip or rev up. I was told when I bought the truck in 17 that the transmission had been over hauled. I no idea who or what they actually did. I have only put 18000 miles on the truck since I bought it in 17.

What shifts does it rev up on shift 1 to 2, 2 to 3... ?

From what you are describing you have a shift flair where the rpms jump up when changing gears. I believe that can be a sign of servo bore wear. It's one of the weak points on the 5r55 trans. If the trans was rebuilt and not a reman unit they may have not bored and sleeved the servo bores. Might not be a bad idea to check the fluid condition and leval too.

What shifts does it rev up on shift 1 to 2, 2 to 3... ?

From what you are describing you have a shift flair where the rpms jump up when changing gears. I believe that can be a sign of servo bore wear. It's one of the weak points on the 5r55 trans. If the trans was rebuilt and not a reman unit they may have not bored and sleeved the servo bores. Might not be a bad idea to check the fluid condition and leval too.
Thank you getting the fluid checked was my first step.

Thank you getting the fluid checked was my first step.
Sounds like the band slipping probably due to a worn servo bore. It is very hard to trust someone stating something was just overhauled without seeing the receipts. Unless you can do the work yourself go with a reman unit over a rebuilt one.

Sounds like the band slipping probably due to a worn servo bore. It is very hard to trust someone stating something was just overhauled without seeing the receipts. Unless you can do the work yourself go with a reman unit over a rebuilt one.

To replace the servo bores is that considered an internal transmission repair? Now I need to find someone that will perform that instead trying to sell a rebuilt or reman transmission.

You can't replace the bores since the bore is part of the case. You could resleeve them but this could only be done during a complete rebuild while the transmission is on a workbench. Try the aftermarket servos with O ring seals as previously suggested.

You can't replace the bores since the bore is part of the case. You could resleeve them but this could only be done during a complete rebuild while the transmission is on a workbench. Try the aftermarket servos with O ring seals as previously suggested.
It seems like I am have to get a reman to totally resolve my issue. I prefer a reman vs rebuild.

I ran across this company when I thought the 6R80 in my Mountaineer might need replaced before I bought it. They seem to do a good job of remanufacturing their transmissions and give the details of the parts and procedures they apply to each type of transmission they sell. They have been in business for quite a while and have a great five year 100k mile warranty. The decent upgrades and parts they use to remanufacture their 5R55 transmissions are probably why they can offer such a long warranty. Plus, the price of $1,895 shipped is very good, IMO.

To bore and sleeve the servo bore holes would require a complete removal and tear down of the trans. To use AJE1 o ringed servo's is very doable with the trans still in place, but it is a PITA job. and after it was done I would still adjust the bands drop the pan to check for any debris adding a new filter and fluid. Reman is the easiest way to go and be done with it.

To bore and sleeve the servo bore holes would require a complete removal and tear down of the trans. To use AJE1 o ringed servo's is very doable with the trans still in place, but it is a PITA job. and after it was done I would still adjust the bands drop the pan to check for any debris adding a new filter and fluid. Reman is the easiest way to go and be done with it.
Thank you I am getting a reman. I appreciate your input telling me about a reman vs rebuild

Back