Transmission?

MilanYugoslavia

Reaction score
City, State
Ljubljana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, Explorer
Hello,

I have problem with transmission at Explorer 4.0 v6, 157kw, 2006 year, 4x4.
Transmission is overheated.

I lives in Europe, Slovenia, so I can't find other transmission for change (there is no Explorers for parts..)
Mustang, 4.0 V6 2007 year, is that the same transmission?

And Explorer, but older.. 2002 year, 2wd.. is that the same? Can we put reductor from my 4wd to this one 2wd?
Thanks a lot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need a 4X4 transmission or you will have to completely disassemble both transmissions to change output shaft.
Brad

Why not to try order only spare parts?

I mean why do you need the whole transmission including transmission case.

Here in Israel we have no stock almost for any part for gen4 X ,even simple accessory belt...

But im ordering OEM ford/motorcraft parts from USA for almost three years with no problems.

Why not to try order only spare parts?

I mean why do you need the whole transmission including transmission case.

Here in Israel we have no stock almost for any part for gen4 X ,even simple accessory belt...

But im ordering OEM ford/motorcraft parts from USA for almost three years with no problems.
I don't know.. my mechanic told me that we need all new parts, because it's overheated 🙁.
That's not true?

Overheated doesn't mean much, to what degree. Burned up, now that is a meaningful judgement of a transmission. Some automatics do not reliably last after a serious overheating problem(burned up). Some can be rebuilt reliably by a good trans builder, some can't. I can rebuild the a few Ford automatics, but at home with no testing equipment, I would never start with one that had a serious overheating failure. Better shops can test well for many things a small shop cannot, such as the VB test machines.

If the VB is full of debris, material, only a high end shop should attempt to clean and rebuild that. Others should replace that VB, from a reputable business that does it well and stands behind their work.

The original poster here could likely buy a similar trans and have a local trans shop rebuild the original trans by using the donor trans for the best parts. But it may only need a rebuilt VB, which that would be feasible alone.

Overheated doesn't mean much, to what degree. Burned up, now that is a meaningful judgement of a transmission. Some automatics do not reliably last after a serious overheating problem(burned up). Some can be rebuilt reliably by a good trans builder, some can't. I can rebuild the a few Ford automatics, but at home with no testing equipment, I would never start with one that had a serious overheating failure. Better shops can test well for many things a small shop cannot, such as the VB test machines.

If the VB is full of debris, material, only a high end shop should attempt to clean and rebuild that. Others should replace that VB, from a reputable business that does it well and stands behind their work.

The original poster here could likely buy a similar trans and have a local trans shop rebuild the original trans by using the donor trans for the best parts. But it may only need a rebuilt VB, which that would be feasible alone.
Thanks, I agree... but in Slovenia, Europe.. is only one Explorer - mine 🙂

So, if I find Explorer exactly the same like mine, 4.0 V6, 2006 year, but 2wd.. is there option to my mechanic rebuilt it to mine 4wd? Housing, oil pump and other..?

Yes, if you can find another transmission like yours, that will be best. ... The 2WD might have a cover piece, I don't recall, but the guts are entirely the same other than VB variable calibrations etc. The output shaft I think will be longer on the 2WD, see below my post three posts down.

You will need a 4X4 transmission or you will have to completely disassemble both transmissions to change output shaft.
Brad

Brad, am I missing something, didn't the new five speeds in 2002+ models have the same output shaft etal? I know there were two, the V6 versus V8 5R's, but don't they have the same TC or driveshaft mounting? The later six speeds again had unique trans housings for 4WD/2WD, but the shafts were the same on those I believe too.

Yes, if you can find another transmission like yours, that will be best. It won't matter if it's from a 2WD or 4WD, those model trans, were the same for both/all. What made them 2WD or 4WD was the parts behind it, a transfer case or just a driveshaft. The 2WD might have a cover piece, I don't recall, but the guts are entirely the same other than VB variable calibrations etc.
Yes, I'm find the 2wd transmission on the same Explorer like is mine. 4.0 V6, 157kw, 2006 year.
Difference is, that mine is 4wd. So, that's it? Mechanic can switch from my transmission to that new which is 2wd, my driveshaft?

So, it's ok? Thanks a loooott 😊😊

Crap, I posted that just before and then went to try to confirm it. I can't find a 2WD 5R picture on eBay, but I think they still had a difference in the output shaft and a rear cover piece.

Bottom line, if you found a trans that is the same 5R version(there were four, designated by the end letter of the name(5R55E, 5R55W, 5R55S, and 5R55N), you can use it to fix your truck. The E was the early version in 97-01 4.0's, you won't have found that one. The W was the 4.6 V8 version. The S was in Mustang V6's and I think your Explorer. The N I think was a Jaguar model, I don't know if that went into Fords also.

Your mechanic that can rebuild transmissions can take apart both transmissions, and swap the 2WD parts, the rear output shaft and the outer rear cover. I wish I had a picture I could find to post. The difference will be visible on the back, the 2WD output shaft will be a little longer, with a short cover over it.

So you need to confirm which model of transmission you have, and the one you have found. If they are the same version, that should work to fix yours.

Crap, I posted that just before and then went to try to confirm it. I can't find a 2WD 5R picture on eBay, but I think they still had a difference in the output shaft and a rear cover piece.

Bottom line, if you found a trans that is the same 5R version(there were four, designated by the end letter of the name(5R55E, 5R55W, 5R55S, and 5R55N), you can use it to fix your truck. The E was the early version in 97-01 4.0's, you won't have found that one. The W was the 4.6 V8 version. The S was in Mustang V6's and I think your Explorer. The N I think was a Jaguar model, I don't know if that went into Fords also.

Your mechanic that can rebuild transmissions can take apart both transmissions, and swap the 2WD parts, the rear output shaft and the outer rear cover. I wish I had a picture I could find to post. The difference will be visible on the back, the 2WD output shaft will be a little longer, with a short cover over it.

So you need to confirm which model of transmission you have, and the one you have found. If they are the same version, that should work to fix yours.
Both of them are 5R55W, one is 2wd, and mine is 4wd...
I think that all is ok, except 4wd extension...

Maybe you can research here better than I :)

Both of them are 5R55W, one is 2wd, and mine is 4wd...
I think that all is ok, except 4wd extension...

Maybe you can research here better than I :)

Very good, and that's a great PDF of the 5R55W broken down. Look at figure 180 and 181 there, that shows the 2WD rear housing extension, and that the bolts for it are slightly longer than the 4WD cover piece. If both are that W trans, you can use the 2WD easily by swapping the rear parts that differ. It mentioned a temporary retainer piece to hold the output shaft in while installing the rest of the guts. I wouldn't think the shaft would come out without the rest first, but that PDF sounds like it might. The used trans you found you would want to have apart to look it over and rebuild it if you have a mechanic who can do it anyway. Those rear parts are the only thing to swap, so if yours is burned up, swap that rear shaft and cover, plus those bolts, to the new trans you found.

Very good, and that's a great PDF of the 5R55W broken down. Look at figure 180 and 181 there, that shows the 2WD rear housing extension, and that the bolts for it are slightly longer than the 4WD cover piece. If both are that W trans, you can use the 2WD easily by swapping the rear parts that differ. It mentioned a temporary retainer piece to hold the output shaft in while installing the rest of the guts. I wouldn't think the shaft would come out without the rest first, but that PDF sounds like it might. The used trans you found you would want to have apart to look it over and rebuild it if you have a mechanic who can do it anyway. Those rear parts are the only thing to swap, so if yours is burned up, swap that rear shaft and cover, plus those bolts, to the new trans you found.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.. this 2wd and my 4wd mechanic can use to make one.

Thanks a lot, and yes.. this PDF is awesome 👌👍😊

Great, I hope your mechanic has no trouble with the repair, R&Ring the trans is usually the hardest part. Use Mercon V for that, not any of the newer fluids, or older types. That will be best if the new trans is in good shape, to use that VB for sure, that's a critical part of any used trans. Also if you can, look at the Sonnax website for the parts or kits they sell for the 5R55W valv body. A few of those will improve the trans and lengthen it's life. They make higher quality replacement parts for most popular trans models, which work better than new and reduce some issues that cause failures. I've never worked with any of the five speeds yet, so my experience is with all of the Ford four speeds. But Sonnax makes very good upgrade parts, they will have some things for yours. Most of them are not very expensive either, $100 or so usually pays for most of the best small things they have.

@CDW6212R with the 4R70W you could cut a 2 WD output and use as a 4x4. Not on the 5R series.
Brad

@CDW6212R with the 4R70W you could cut a 2 WD output and use as a 4x4. Not on the 5R series.
Brad
Thanks Brad, as you can tell I'm not really familiar with the 5R's, I've learned from here over many years, from others. I have three projects that need a 4R built, my 99's 5R, and if I'm lucky, a 6R for my 98 project later.

Back