Transmissive fluid is leaking out of a transmission line. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmissive fluid is leaking out of a transmission line.

crazy1378

Reaction score
City, State
whittier, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
My 2000 Sport Leaking Fluid From the front of the vehicle. I was looking underneath the And and it seems to be Transmission line. Someone told me not to take the transmission lines off but to get a hose and two hose clamps spin the holes down the middle. Put it over the line where it's cracked and tighten it. Is it? Will this fix work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are they hard or soft lines? In any case, if it's not leaking at a fitting, the lines need to be replaced.

Not sure if that would work... it does not sound that secure to me.

I think the preferred method would be to replace the leaking section of metal line with another line from salvage, OR have a replacement metal line fabricated, OR cut the leaking metal segment out, and replace with rubber hose. Make sure the hose is tolerant of oil, like fuel line. Some mechanics would flare both ends of the remaining metal line, but at the very least I would add two clamps to each section.

You probably should confirm that the metal line is leaking, rather than the connections at the end of the metal line.

Good luck.

On my 99 XLT 5.0, I developed a pinhole leak from rust in the lower metal transmission cooler line which was connected at the lower radiator fitting and the transmission cooler. Dorman made a replacement line with the screwed fitting on the rdiator end and the flared fitting on the cooler side.The tube was shaped perfectly to match the factory line. There was one issue. The threaded fitting did not have the same thread pitch to match the radiator inlet. I ended up removing the fitting from the replacement line and replacing it with the original fitting. I did have to flare the end since I had to cut the tube to remove the fitting. No issues since.

Not sure if that would work... it does not sound that secure to me.

I think the preferred method would be to replace the leaking section of metal line with another line from salvage, OR have a replacement metal line fabricated, OR cut the leaking metal segment out, and replace with rubber hose. Make sure the hose is tolerant of oil, like fuel line. Some mechanics would flare both ends of the remaining metal line, but at the very least I would add two clamps to each section.

You probably should confirm that the metal line is leaking, rather than the connections at the end of the metal line.

Good luck.yeah i figured it sounded

On my 99 XLT 5.0, I developed a pinhole leak from rust in the lower metal transmission cooler line which was connected at the lower radiator fitting and the transmission cooler. Dorman made a replacement line with the screwed fitting on the rdiator end and the flared fitting on the cooler side.The tube was shaped perfectly to match the factory line. There was one issue. The threaded fitting did not have the same thread pitch to match the radiator inlet. I ended up removing the fitting from the replacement line and replacing it with the original fitting. I did have to flare the end since I had to cut the tube to remove the fitting. No issues since.
Alright, that sounds like some good information right there. I believe I'm having the same problem with mine. Now I'm off to read my repair manual.

I replaced a short section on mine using appropriately sized brake line from NAPA and compression fittings. I probably should've used flares, but pressure in the cooling loop is pretty low. No leaks.

Guys have used transmission fluid hose.

If your lines look like ****, though...time to start looking into a more permanent solution.

RockAuto sells replacement lines.
(Mfg in China.)

Back