Transplanting the Sync APIM from a 2013? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transplanting the Sync APIM from a 2013?

joekitch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
a 2008 notfordexplorer
if i am interpreting these various teardown videos correctly, the APIM (which houses the entire system running Sync and MFT) is bolted to the back of the lcd screen correct?

is it possible to get an APIM out of a 2013 ford and directly transplant it into, say, a 2011? the 2013s have much improved hardware if i remember correctly, so they're much faster to respond

The APIM is programmed with the options for YOUR vehicle. You can't just get one and replace it. When being replaced at the dealer there is an entire special programming sequence that must be followed.

It might be possible to do what your thinking but Ford will never recommend it.

That's the first I've heard that the hardware is different. I'm no expert but my 2012 Focus hardware seems to perform the same as my 2014 Explorer. I know you said 2011. just sayin'

That's the first I've heard that the hardware is different. I'm no expert but my 2012 Focus hardware seems to perform the same as my 2014 Explorer. I know you said 2011. just sayin'

hmm, upon further research it seems you're right, the hardware is the same, ford just made a rather significant software update to free up bandwidth on the processor
whops!

Back