Trany damage from larger tires

gazzer

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale Pa. 18407
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
Hi.
I have stock 03 explorer 4x4 with 235/70/16 tires on it and wanted to go larger.
The salesman at the shop said I would cause 7000.00 dollars to my trany if I did that because of AWD.
I explained to Him that I don’t have AWD, He said it didn’t matter with the Newer trucks. Bla bla.
What’s the story, can I go up in tallness not necessarily width with out any Damage to My Trany?

Thanks, Gazzer
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't or rather won't cause damage to a tranny by going up to 1 size larger of a tire as long as you get all 4. The guy probably just doesn't wanna take the responsibility of installing tires that are not listed for the Explorer. Alot of tire shops will only install tires that show up as being original equipment size.

Do some browsing on here, there are plenty of us running larger tires....in fact, the tires you have on there now are the smallest tires that come on the stock Explorers, Ford offered a few larger stock options for tires, all using the same drivetrain.

On a side note, and thankfully you spotted the BS flag right away, $7k in damage? LOL......is that transmission gold-plated?

Take your business elsewhere. Any shop that refuses to install tires other than the OEM size, must being doing really well in this recession....enough to turn away business.

Maknos is running 33s or 35s with AWD and is planning to throw 500 horse power through the stock tranny, he hasnt broke anything yet, id say your safe son.

Thanks guy’s n I'm going with bigger tire and a badder thread pattern

Back