Trany swap 1993 explorer to 1996 ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trany swap 1993 explorer to 1996 ranger

ggrue

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ranger 4x4
I have a 1993 explorer good transmission 4.0L engine. want to swap it to a 1996 ranger 4x4 4.0L engine. Will the transmissions fit, as a matter of fact I am thinking of parting out the 93 explorer (sport) for parts for the 96 Ranger. Would it be worth to completely strip the explorer for parts will most of the fit. I have had issues trying to match up part numbers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't say if the Explorer trans is also 4x4, but if it is, then yes, it will bolt right up.

Yes it is 4x4 same motor some minor changes in the top end Air flow sensor. . Air compressor a little different but bolt patterns match. I have a good motor in the explorer and new tires thinking of parting it out for ranger and selling what I do not need. If it all matches think I will do just that. thank you for the response.

They are not compatible. 93 has vacuum modulator and 96 is computer controlled. Will not interchange.

Oops, I realize by transman's post that we are most likely talking about an automatic trans. I foolishly assumed it's a manual, since that's what I'm used to. ;)
Most Ex's and many Rangers are auto, so odds are good we're talking auto here...
Although, rereading it all, the OP did only ask if it would fit, and I only said that it would bolt right up, so technically I'm not wrong either way! :biggthump

So ggrue, which is it?

Chances are they will fit but the explorer transmission is a4ld and the 96 ranger is most likly 5r55e. They both have different wiring connectors. I think a4ld is hydraulically controlled while the 5r55e is electronically controlled. Probably wouldnt work unless you rewire a fair portion of your ranger

Back