Travel Trailer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Travel Trailer

I am thinking of getting a 23 foot travel trailer(Jayco). It weighs 4200 pounds dry.t has a GVCW OF 5500 pounds. I have a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer with a v8 and the factory tow package. I know I need a brake controller and a weight distribution hitch. Anyhow anybody tow a trailer around this size? How did it go? How do I add a transmission temp gauge?

Thanks
Sanman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, for brake controllers, you can't do better (IMO) than the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3. I've been using a Prodigy these 8 camping seasons, and it's a very smooth unit. They are functionally pretty much the same, but the P3 has a more user-friendly interface. I think you can find the Prodigy for as low as $89 or so, and the P3 around $129 or more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saw a second gen Mounty towing what had to be a 23 to 25 foot travel trailer on i 77 today.

V8Merc

What WDH did you get and what are you using for sway control? Do you think it is working? I wasd thinkong of the equal-liz-zer brand.

I have a 21 foot Travel Trailer, I purchased the equalizer brand WDH, and a prodigy brake controller. Been pleased with the setup, and glad I spent a bit more money on more expensive (better) towing accessories.

New member!

Hi - new member here and need things explained in plain english as I am not a mechanically inclined person lol
i have a 2002 explorer xlt and plan on towing a 24' Nomad camper/trailer.
So... been reading this thread and so far seems like I've done one thing right: I had the brake controller installed. Don't really get how to use it, but probably can figure it out...
It sounds like the mirrors are a good idea and I'll get those....
BUT the trailer came with a weight distribution hitch and my question is: does anyone have or know of a good picture/diagram of how the hitch gets attached? The guy we bought the camper from showed me, but of course I cant remember how it works. lol
Planning on going out to a big empty parking lot to practice backing up..... lol

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Equailizer Hitch Recommended.

I have a '92 Explorer that I am using to tow a 17' bobtail as I move. I had problems with the trailer fishtailing badly at about 45 mph when empty.

I got a Equilizer hitch and am amazed at how much nicer it pulls when loaded and the fishtailing is much better controlled.

In short, you should consider an Equilizer hitch if you are going to tow anything big.

Karl

Finally have a trailer

We bought a R vision ts21e. I wanted to get the lighest shortest trailer I could get that would meet my family needs. It weighs 3300 pounds equiped but dry and is 22' long tonque to bumper. I am less that 1/2 my towing capacity, but the length compared to the wheel base on my 2008 V8 mountaineer has me concerned. I am getting a equal-i-zer WDH. I don't take delivery till april. I will let you know how it goes then.

Sanman

With the "Equil-i-zer" brand sway-control hitch, you will be very happy, based on all the praise I hear from folks on a camper site I frequent.

And for those interested, sometimes the generic term "Equilizer" is used to describe any generic Reese, Drawtite, or other weight-distributing hitch system. Most of these do not have integrated sway control.

Conversely, the "Equil-i-zer" (dashes are intentional) is a specific brand of WDH that has integrated 4-point sway control. No need for add-on friction sway control, or add-on dual-cam arms.

Folks decided on this: http://keystone-premier.com/index.php?page=floorplans&model=19FBPR&year=2011 Despite the model number, it's about a 22 footer.

I'll be installing (i.e., plugging in) a Tekonsha P3 sometime this week.....

Also going to install an auxiliary cooler with electric fan. Can't beat the $100 or so for the protection it provides.

Biggest complaint is no one makes decent vehicle-specific mirrors for 2007+ Explorers/Tracs. Looks like they'll have to go with the ones that strap to the door.

Hello,

I just bought the same trailer. Have P3 as well. Going to tow it with my 08 Limited V8. I was wondering about your "cooler". Oil or trans? Which one is it, where did you get it and how easy was it to install?

Also, have you found any suitable mirrors yet?

Thanks.

P....

Trailer towed very well

Picked up the new trailer today (Trail Sport TS21E). We used a equal-i-zer wdh and my 2008 V8 Mercury Mountaineer towed it very well. The hitch really made the Mountaineer feel firmly planted and no trailer sway. Had plenty of power. I would not hesitate to use this combination to go anywhere. Also we use the prodigy P3 brake controller. Anyhow it went really well.

Thanks
Sanman

No picture

It is sitting in my driveway unhooked now. I will put a picture next weekend when we take it out.

Picked it up yesterday. http://keystone-premier.com/index.php?page=floorplans&model=19FBPR&year=2011

Towed it about 100 miles in 75 degree temps. Towed with and without overdrive depending on load. Water temp never higher than 223, Trans temp peaked at 226 but mostly around 220. They installed an Equal-i-zer E2 hitch. Minimal sway (though it was kind of windy) TV had plenty of pull and suspension. It was a very comfortable tow. I think it will be a good combination. MPG was about 13.5.

If interested, pix here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/P2xRQyHhz1VwF5sxDpjSSqmDyPfOb5oled0EhCawX_Y?feat=directlink

P.

pjw you might want to look into an add-on transmission cooler; when I tow ~3200lbs with my 02 4.6L (w/towing package) the trans temp rarely gets over 180 (and that's going up a long big hill when i've forgotten to turn off OD). It usually runs 130-150. There are charts showing how temp directly affects ATF life. How are you measuring temp? I installed a temp sensor in the output fluid line between the transmission and the factory trans cooler. Based on my temps, I've decided not to install an add-on cooler for now....

Skeeter, Tnx for the reply. I appreciate your taking the time to write. Truthfully I am not sure where I am measuring the trans temp from. I have a ScanGaugeII That I programmed to to give me trans temp via a bunch of commands. I have it show me the trans temp and the water temp at the same time,. http://www.scangauge.com/

My baseline without towing in 60 degree temp was averaging 180-190. So I am not sure a cooler would (at this point) do me much good. I think the summer months with AC on and long hill-climbs will be the acid test. Speaking of cooler. I am pretty sure I already have a trans fluid cooler. I have a Ford shop manual that shows the fluid path ( and the optional tow package cooler) for my engine/trans. Mine is identical. I have followed the path of the fluid lines from the trans, to the radiator and then to the "cooler") that sits at the very front (behind the front grill in in front of the radiator and AC condenser). I'll updtae this post as time goes on and I have more data in hotter temps.

P.....

Back