Tread life question: BFG T/A KO's vs. KM2's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tread life question: BFG T/A KO's vs. KM2's

So i've had my X for about 7 months now, and its getting to that time where i need new tires, which for me means finally doing the TT/AA/Shackles...awesome. My question is what kind of tread life do each of them have? The KM2's look better and don't cost much more, but if the T/A's last significantly longer, i'll def take that into consideration. Any and all input helps.

Really it depends how you use and treat your tires. I've heard stories of people who have had A/T KO's last 100,000 miles, and complaints that they barely lasted 30,000.

All-Terrains will probably last longer for daily driving since they have more contact area, so with more rubber on the road, it won't wear as much. Mud tires have WAY less contact patch on pavement since the only part that contacts the pavement is the raised tread. Mud tires also tend to SUCK for driving in rain on pavement, compared to All-Terrains.

I would get the tires for the kind of driving you do most, rather than anything else. If you do a mix of on- and off-road driving (or you honestly are on pavement more than off it), get the All-Terrains. If you do a fair amount of off-roading or your truck is on dirt more than pavement, the Muds are probably for you.

Back