Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Tell them you want to file a consumer complaint. They'll need your info, VIN and your mileage. Then you can tell them how your Hankook tires which came OEM on your Explorer are wearing prematurely even with proper care. They told me, "...I do see a Special Service Message SSM 47195 to address 2015-2018 Explorer - Hankook Brand 20 Inch Tire - Tread Wear Tire Replacement. To fill you in, some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit tread wear that is not the result of vehicle alignment concerns. For customer satisfaction, Hankook is offering pro-rated tire replacement for vehicles with less than 36,000 Miles. This program is managed by Hankook Tire America Corp. and not claimed under Ford new vehicle limited warranty.
In this case, I would suggest speaking to the Service Manager and mentioning this program."

I then asked for a case number. You can take that case number to the service advisor at your local helpful Ford dealership. In my case, I had already had them replaced at Discount Tire, and they knew exactly what to do, didn't even flinch. Afterwards, for good measure, I sent my local dealership the case number just for records etc.

Great, thanks! Chatting now. You said you had already had then replaced at Discount Tire. So you had new tires already applied before dealing with this? Or am I misunderstanding.

EDIT: this ford chat member is saying there are no recalls and nothing they can do and for me to just speak with my local ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had gonet o DT to have them rotated, and that's when they noticed they were worn. I paid to have them replaced. Then I had to tell Ford about it.

Hmmm mine are down to 6-7/32nds at 15k miles. Not worn out by any means, but worn more than I expected. But more concerning are the divots or chunks taken out in the outer band of tread on both front tires. Wear is even across the tire so I don't think it's a misalignment issue. Might be related to this issue. Will have to take it in.

KAM,327, mine were worn evenly too. I remember seeing a recall on Hankook's website for .. scratch that, they've removed it. It was a service bulletin about a few of their tires and something to do with sidewalls falling apart. Geez, what a company. HA! They've recently posted a CYA document on their website! OMG! They are trying to cover their arses!!! (They mislabeled it January 2009.)

KAM,327, mine were worn evenly too. I remember seeing a recall on Hankook's website for .. scratch that, they've removed it. It was a service bulletin about a few of their tires and something to do with sidewalls falling apart. Geez, what a company. HA! They've recently posted a CYA document on their website! OMG! They are trying to cover their arses!!!

I looked on hankooks website and there were only 3 recalls, and the tire for the explorer wasn't listed . Where is this document?

that's because they recently removed it. Here is what I had screen grabbed prior. It was for 18-19 inch tires, but ours were 20s and they covered them.

18 and 19 inch with problems..png

Hankook bulletin page.png

Hankook warranty.png

Those are just pages I grabbed for support.

Great, thanks! Chatting now. You said you had already had then replaced at Discount Tire. So you had new tires already applied before dealing with this? Or am I misunderstanding.

EDIT: this ford chat member is saying there are no recalls and nothing they can do and for me to just speak with my local ford.

Did they give you a case number? Go to Discount Tire and let them handle it for you.

This is what the rep at Ford mentioned...

a.png

Hey From Dallas! Have you cashed in on the Hankook tire debacle?

Hey fellas and ladies, Dallas TX checking in! We do love our 2018 Explorer Limited, it's a top-notch ride. Even for a guy at 6'6" I sit comfortably. Now, the gas tank would be my only complaint. It's too small!

As far as my title of this post, if you have Hankook tires, have you checked them recently? We recently had to have our 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 with 16,300 miles replaced! They were worn evenly, but plumb wore out (measuring 4/32). I was beside myself! The guy at Discount tire didn't blink and filed for the proper tire warranty assistance so I was able to get new tires on our new vehicle.. but WHY? Why did the Hankook tires wear out so quickly? Why should I have to pay additional money to get tires on a vehicle with 16,300 miles? It's not a sports car with ultra soft compound tires, it's a family SUV for Pete's sake!

A quick glance on Tire Rack shows MANY others with the same problem. Apparently Hankook knows too.
"Special Service Message SSM 47195 to address 2015-2018 Explorer - Hankook Brand 20 Inch Tire - Tread Wear Tire Replacement."

I spoke to Ford to start, "...some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit tread wear that is not the result of vehicle alignment concerns. For customer satisfaction, Hankook is offering pro-rated tire replacement for vehicles with less than 36,000 Miles. This program is managed by Hankook Tire America Corp. and not claimed under Ford new vehicle limited warranty. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2, contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement..." You can tell Discount Tire and they'll know what to do, or file a consumer complaint with Ford so you can get a case number and take it to your local Ford Dealership service advisor so they can complete the process of getting your new tires and getting your family vehicle off of those dangerous tires.

I just wanted to let you guys, fellow Explorer Owners, this might be exclusive to 2018 Limited models, but none the less, it's important!
Welcome to the Forum Kevin.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same issue found with the Forum's "search' feature (upper right).

Peter

You are correct. There is no recall on the tire. The following was copied from post #107 and posted by jmr061;
"
Nov 8 2017 5584 - 2015-2018 - Explorer - Hankook Brand Tire - Chipping, Cutting And/Or Unusual/Accelerated Tread Wear

Some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit chipping, cutting and/or unusual or even accelerated tread wear. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement. This may not be the result of improper alignment.

Jason"

Several members here have had their tires replaced through their Ford dealership and in some cases were allowed to install different brands.

Peter

Well, my tires were replaced and covered, that's all I know. I only paid $400 in difference to Discount Tire to get them Hankook's removed, and new Pirellis put on (receipt shows I rcvd $646 in credit). That included installation, AND their DT warranty. So, whether they admit to a recall, I don't know. Ford gave me a case number, and I have new tires. All I can do is supply info to those who may need it.

Did they give you a case number? Go to Discount Tire and let them handle it for you.

I ordered my tires from TireRack, my new ones that is. I tried calling them and they just told me to call Hankook. I am still waiting for the service manager at ford to call me back. But I wonder if Hankook can view my TireRack order and give me a credit.

Well, my tires were replaced and covered, that's all I know. I only paid $400 in difference to Discount Tire to get them Hankook's removed, and new Pirellis put on (receipt shows I rcvd $646 in credit). That included installation, AND their DT warranty. So, whether they admit to a recall, I don't know. Ford gave me a case number, and I have new tires. All I can do is supply info to those who may need it.
One member got 4 Pirellis put on (post 185) by his dealership for free because he was under the 12k mile mark. An SSM (Special Service Message) is just that. It is an information service message to a dealership and is not a recall. Good luck with the Pirellis.

Peter

I ordered my tires from TireRack, my new ones that is. I tried calling them and they just told me to call Hankook. I am still waiting for the service manager at ford to call me back. But I wonder if Hankook can view my TireRack order and give me a credit.
A copy of your invoice should be helpful. Did you order replacement Hankook tires? If not, then Hankook may be less willing to cooperate. Too bad you didn't find this thread sooner.

Peter

A copy of your invoice should be helpful. Did you order replacement Hankook tires? If not, then Hankook may be less willing to cooperate. Too bad you didn't find this thread sooner.

Peter

I did not order hankooks. But they're still to be delivered and I'm sure tirerack does returns if I can get something out of this.

I wouldn't buy Hankook Tires. I only had them cause they came with our new vehicle. I wouldn't buy them after reading this. I had Pirellis on my ford trucks and they seem to be fine tires.

So hankook is willing to replace up 120 per tire for me. But they want me to get hankooks again. Either the same exact tire or dynapro 2. Id save $500 going that route versus the Goodyear's I ordered. Not sure what to do.

I wouldn't get the exact same, that's easy :) ... go on TireRack.com and read about the DynaPro2, maybe they aren't bad.

Did you try just going to Your local tire store, I.E. Discount Tire and asking them what they would do first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't get the exact same, that's easy :) ... go on TireRack.com and read about the DynaPro2, maybe they aren't bad.

Did you try just going to Your local tire store, I.E. Discount Tire and asking them what they would do first?

This was at my local store, NTB. They were on the phone with hankook and they said I needed hankook to get the discount.

Back