• Register Today It's free!

tricky lift problem HELP!!!

tigercat

Reaction score
City, State
Perry, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 sport
i have a 1992 explorer sport 2wd and wanted some lift so i bought 2 inch coils from skyjacker and the front still sits lower than the back so i was wanting a little more lift for the front so i want to get the f150 coil seats but i hear people saying it cant be alligned with more than 3 inches of lift and no drop brackets (which i have no money for) my problem is not the tire being at an angle but getting toe in allaigned so my question is will toe in be able to get alligned and if not what can i do to correct this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone

Yeah, I could be wrong but I don't think adding a lift effects toe at all? (Can anyone confirm this?)Toe is would be the least of your problems though. What it does effect is camber, and when you adjust camber, you have to adjust toe normally.

Driving around with your tires like \ / will look stupid, drive horribly, and eat your tires. What kind of lift do you have in the rear?

the lift basically drops your steering arms farther down from the pitman arm making them pull inward to accomodate the angle they are put at. toe is just as big of a concern as caster/camber. toe will cut your tires faster than being off camber.

Both toe and camber will be affected by a lift. The reason toe will change is because you are lengthening the distance between pitman arm and the wheels. 4" is a lot for the front without the drop brackets for the TTB and the pitman arm. Although you may get lucky and still be able to align it. However, I highly doubt that you will have enough adjustment in your camber bushings to even get close to factory settings. Toe should not be a problem to align however with the increased angles on the tie rod you will probably experience some pretty bad bump steer. If you want too stay cheap you may want to just level your current suspension and then get a body lift which will not require all the extra brackets and parts.

would a drop pitman arm fix the steering problem?

A drop pitman arm will help bumpsteer by putting the steering angles back to normal thats about it. Camber may or may not be able to be set correctly without suspension drop brackets. But toe can be adjusted either way it goes whether you buy the drop brackets and(or) drop pitman arm or don't. And like fourosport said toe is the number one cause of tire wear.

Also if you dont mind me askin what is the rear lifted with?

the rear is lifted with nothing

maybe just an 1/4 inch lower but the problem is when i put 29 inch tires on the front and 33 inch tires on the back the front will sit much lower.

maybe just an 1/4 inch lower but the problem is when i put 29 inch tires on the front and 33 inch tires on the back the front will sit much lower.

Are you serious?
OK. I'll bite. Larger tires in the rear WILL make the rear sit higher! A 33" tire will lift your rear about 2 1/2" high over a 29" tire. There's your 1/4" difference. If you're serious about your tire setup...Why? Are you entering this in a tractor pull or something?

i dont have the tires yet and it still sits lower and for the other question i am building a mud truck and it is 2wd so i get 5.5 inch wide tires in the front for it to go through mud instead of pushing it out of the way.

Since your truck is 2wd and has beams you can correct the camber a max of 3.5 degrees I believe, you may indeed be able to run the 2" coils along with the F-150 spring seats and still align the camber IF you get the max camber correction shims (upper balljoint)

A drop pitman arm will help the steering/toe, you need a 4" drop from the sounds of it, Superlift sells this.
Toe is adjusted with the tie rods

In order to install F-150 spring seats on your 2wd beams you will need the 4x4 upper beam bolts, this is the double sided bolt that retains the radius arm to the beam and then retains the bottom of the coil, your 2wd bolts are too short on the coil side for the spring seat

If that doesnt work you can try to locate some Ranger STX front end drop brackets (4x4) they will give you a 1.5 drop at your beam pivots using factory parts (junk yard, ebay, save $$$)

Building a hobby truck and no money dont belong in the same sentance! LOL

Back