Trim level gurus - what makes an Expedition model? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trim level gurus - what makes an Expedition model?

TequilaSnrs087

Reaction score
City, State
Chapel Hill/Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
I took my Sport down to the dealer that my friend works at today for an oil change. He ran the VIN through Ford's database thing and the truck came back as being an Expedition model. I thought that all Expedition models had Eddie Bauer wheels, painted fender flares, painted rockers, and basically looked like two door Eddie Bauers. My Sport has XLT wheels, black plastic fender flares, black plastic rocker panel trim, and a single tone paint job. It is all original too. It is very well equipped inside...high series console, power everything, 8 way driver's seat, etc... Also, it has Control Trac. The only things it does not have are leather and a factory CD player. So does this sound like an Expedition model or not? I'm inclined to believe that Ford's own database would be right, but who knows. This truck was a fleet vehicle originally, so I suppose it could have been some sort of special order type thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have honestly never heard of an "expedition" model explorer, just eddie bauer, limited, xlt, xls etc..

i think the expedition model was supposed to be a geo specific thing, for certain states....

i have honestly never heard of an "expedition" model explorer, just eddie bauer, limited, xlt, xls etc..

All I really know is that it was only offered in 1995 and was equal to the Eddie Bauer package, but for Sport models only.

I'll look for any Expedition markings tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it does not say it on the Explorer badge though.

I seem to have all of the features of the Expedition package, minus the cosmetic things. I did think it was kind of unusual for it to have Control Trac when all regular Sports I have seen just have regular 2H, 4H, 4L. Even my friend at the dealer commented that he didn't know auto 4WD was available on regular Sports. And of course, the VIN itself says the truck is an Expedition model. I think the best explanation is that the fleet that bought the truck wanted the Control Trac or some of the other features, but also wanted a price break, so Ford cut them a deal by decontenting the truck a little.

The Expedition models *should* have the wide flares(in silver) and 16" 3 spoke wheels. Inside should have the high series console and I always thought they had leather, could be wrong though.

All 4WD Explorers(4 or 2 door) got Control Trac from '95-'00. The 4 doors continue to this day with Control Trac and the Sport(Trac) from '01-'03/'05 got normal 2/4hi/4lo 4X4. So you 4wd system is correct for your vehicle.

All 4WD Explorers(4 or 2 door) got Control Trac from '95-'00. The 4 doors continue to this day with Control Trac and the Sport(Trac) from '01-'03/'05 got normal 2/4hi/4lo 4X4. .
Believe it or not I thought the same thing untill one day I came across a 1995 xlt 4 door that didnt have control trac but was 4x4....it had the same 4x4 switch only it said 2wd,auto,4x4low range.....i know this because I had to do a state inspection on it and that requires a dyno test........you cant put all wheel drive or auto 4x4's on a dyno for obvious reasons.......anyway intresting fact ..fyi

95 -96 Control Trac (BW 4405) had 2 Hi, 4 Auto, 4 Low modes. The front differential had a vacuum operated disconnect to provide 2 Hi mode.

97 and later Control Trac (same BW 4405 transfer case) eliminated the 2 Hi mode and the vacuum disconnect and had 4 Auto, 4 Hi, 4 Low modes.

95 -96 Control Trac (BW 4405) had 2 Hi, 4 Auto, 4 Low modes. The front differential had a vacuum operated disconnect to provide 2 Hi mode.

97 and later Control Trac (same BW 4405 transfer case) eliminated the 2 Hi mode and the vacuum disconnect and had 4 Auto, 4 Hi, 4 Low modes.

Where does the 2001 Explorer Sport fall in there? It has 2WD / 4HI / 4LOW like the Sport Trac. Thank you! :salute:

Where does the 2001 Explorer Sport fall in there? It has 2WD / 4HI / 4LOW like the Sport Trac. Thank you! :salute:

The '01-'03 Sports and '01-'05 Tracs had standard 4WD. Meaning true 2WD, True 4 high and true 4 low. None of this Auto bull crap.

The '01-'03 Sports and '01-'05 Tracs had standard 4WD. Meaning true 2WD, True 4 high and true 4 low. None of this Auto bull crap.

I did not know that. What T-case did they use? Hmmm....Maybe swappable to a 97 if the 4405 dies?

I did not know that. What T-case did they use? Hmmm....Maybe swappable to a 97 if the 4405 dies?

The standard BW1354. I would say it could be a rather straight forward swap since it was used in these and in Rangers(and Gen1 Explorers).

I'm going to have to check one out someday. Do they have auto hubs or are they permanently connected like the the later Control Trac?

Back