• Register Today It's free!

Trim Removal

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
How do you remove the black piece of plastic/composite vent trim below the windshield (wipers go through it) on a 96? I plan to paint mine as it is faded and not sure how it comes off. Thanks Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can NOT take it off and put it back on after your are done painting. Its riveted in place and is made of very thin metal sheet that bents up easily. If you need it painted, just paint it with it on the truck just cover everything else up.

edit: Nevermind- I thought you were refering to the trim above the REAR wiper. :)

When I got a new windshield put in mine, they had to take that part off. They took the windshield wipers off and the just unsnapped the black pastic part. When they were done they just snapped it back in place. It should be the same on your 96 as my 97. Now, I myself didnt presonally take it off, but I watched and it didn't look to be that hard. Good luck man, maybe some else will jump in here and offer some more advice.

Thanks, Matt. Probably better to do it in warm weather so that it bends more easily.

He put my windshield in when I had the car in the garage. Our garage is heated, but I dont think the temp should pose that much of a problem if your above freezing. Good luck.

Remover the wiper arms ( you knew that part right ? )
and it should be a few phillips screws , maybe not though.

It comes out pretty easy just show it a little love.

This is what it looks like inside. Be careful prying them off- they are fragile specially where the tubes meet the nozzles.

Attachments

• x cowl ii.jpg
    x cowl ii.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 150

This is where I broke mine. I fixed it by using silicone gasket maker.

Attachments

• x washer nozzle damage ii.jpg
    x washer nozzle damage ii.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 150

X~factor ..... i thought they were riveted in place???:p ... you get some mad welding skills all of a sudden?... jk with ya man!

Back