Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So I need to trim my fenders or risk chopping up my new tires. There's a piece of the body below the fender that also seems like it will be in the way. In the pictures below I've pointed it out.

Trim2.jpg

Trim1.jpg

What have you guys come with the corner of that piece? Can I trim it? It's not bendable, and it's holding together parts of the body so it may not be wise to cut it. I would like to see pictures of what others have done with this.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I no longer have those lower mounts on mine. When I did my sliders I put them where the rockers use to be...the result was 4 inches of body needed to be removed, including these fender mounts. I don't have a good picture but I don't think it'd be too hard to build a new mount if you wanted. I have left the lower part unmounted...the fender doesn't flap around much either.

So you basically just cut the whole connection piece off and let the fender just hang out?

Basically...but it really doesn't hang out much. Like I said though, a new higher mount wouldn't be hard to make.

Not a very good pic...but it may give you an idea of what mine looks like.
DSC00379.JPG

Cut past the first bolt but leave the second bolt there cauz on the 2nd gen, that holds the lower end of the fender to the rest of the body.

Cut past the first bolt but leave the second bolt there cauz on the 2nd gen, that holds the lower end of the fender to the rest of the body.

It does on the 1st gen also. My trimming was not for a tire though. I don't see why you'd need to get back to the second...once your there you'll be hacking more than a lower fender mount anyway.

It does on the 1st gen also. My trimming was not for a tire though. I don't see why you'd need to get back to the second...once your there you'll be hacking more than a lower fender mount anyway.
I guess your right -- but I ran 33"s (TT+3"BL) and didnt see a need to go past the 1st bolt cauz the tire didnt go past that.

I guess your right -- but I ran 33"s (TT+3"BL) and didnt see a need to go past the 1st bolt cauz the tire didnt go past that.

Yeah...i don't see why he'd need to get past the first either. Paraphoe...get the angle grinder and start working :D

Nothing is going to fall apart if you cut that off ;)

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to hear. I got a lot of work to do on the truck when I get back from vacation. Fender trimming, fixing my AC, mounting my hood scoop, fabbing up brackets to re-mount my brush guard, and mounting and wiring up my roof rack lights. Need to get this all done before Rausch Creek run. :confused:

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to hear. I got a lot of work to do on the truck when I get back from vacation. Fender trimming, fixing my AC, mounting my hood scoop, fabbing up brackets to re-mount my brush guard, and mounting and wiring up my roof rack lights. Need to get this all done before Rausch Creek run. :confused:
Other than this trimming, all that other stuff is not required for RC ;) So dont stress! Chillax for a bit, enjoy some lemonade :D

I'll do some digging. There was some one that had a GIF from stock to cut that was a good reference.

Back