trouble code 172 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

trouble code 172

98Rig

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
so i had a code pop up when i was driving, happens only when i get to normal operating temperature. i have cleared the code and it pops back up when i get to normal operating temp. it says o2 sensor reads lean, is it bad or should i be looking somewhere else for the problem?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
If this is on the '98 in your profile, you might want to post this in the 2nd gen forum, where people are more familiar with the EEC-V/OBD-2 set-up.

it says o2 sensor reads lean, is it bad or should i be looking somewhere else for the problem?
Yes, the O2 sensor might be bad, or you might need to look elsewhere for the problem. That's part of why lean O2 codes can be so hard to diagnose: there are so many things that can trigger them.

By the book, you usually start diagnosing O2 sensor codes by checking fuel pressure. Definitely check the wiring between the sensor and the PCM. Also check for vacuum leaks.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

98Rig

Reaction score
City, State