Trouble Code P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble Code P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected

minzamerc

Reaction score
City, State
Delafield, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT, 99 MOUNT.
My 2002 Explorer 4.0 L was missing and spewing what appears to be raw gas out the exhaust, with plenty of white smoke - coolant level was not down at all so I know it wasn't a head gasket or similar problem. My plugs have only 3,000 miles on them, so I tried a new coil, with no luck.

I removed the intake manifold and looked at the fuel injectors. The # 1 injector had a cracked tip, so I thought I had found the reason the #1 intake port was full to the top with fuel. I put it back together with new injectors and again, no change.

Does any one have a clue as to why the #1 intake port was full of gas? Is it possible the intake valve is not opening due to a broken rocker arm or valve?

Thanks to anyone who has an idea.

Anything is possible. The valve not opening sounds like a logical explanation. Sounds like maybe a cam follower popped out of place. Pull the passenger side valve cover, if the follower came out, make sure the cam lobe did not get damaged.

Back