• Register Today It's free!

Trouble codes P1401 and P0303

neo297

Reaction score
City, State
athens, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 xlt 5.0v8 & '95 4.0v6
Hi I was hoping I could get some advice on what to check 1st on my son's 2000 explorer 2wd 5.0 V8. It has an issue with hesitation and stumbling that's intermittent. I'm throwing 2 trouble codes P1401 and P0303. I have read about the unreliability of an Autozones ability to check coil packs so I'm not sure how to check it. I have yet to check compression or even if I have spark to the # 3 cyl. I have been sick and my son went to Autozone to have the codes pulled today. It seems I need a new egr pressure sensor from the P1401 code but I'm not going to buy anything until I can get under it and do some troubleshooting. Just wanted some advice as to what to check first. Thanks!

For p1401
It could be the dpfe sensor, or, the hoses between it and the egr tube. Pull the smaller vacuum type hoses and take a look. Sometimes they are "blown out" or split. If they are, keep an eye on them after repairing as this may indicate a clogged catalytic converter.

Also check for an exhaust leak in the egr tube itself.

For the misfire, new plugs and wires should fix it. For giggles you might swap coil packs side to side, and swap #2 and #3 ignition wires to see if you can move the misfire code.

For p1401
It could be the dpfe sensor, or, the hoses between it and the egr tube. Pull the smaller vacuum type hoses and take a look. Sometimes they are "blown out" or split. If they are, keep an eye on them after repairing as this may indicate a clogged catalytic converter.

Also check for an exhaust leak in the egr tube itself.

For the misfire, new plugs and wires should fix it. For giggles you might swap coil packs side to side, and swap #2 and #3 ignition wires to see if you can move the misfire code.
Thanks we will try to get to things next weekend I have a conference all weekend but I do not like letting him drive it if I do not know it will get him home! He likes driving it better than our 95 4.0 I think the 2000 5.0 has much harsher suspension but maybe that's just my mid 40's back talking thanks again.

Back