Trouble with a "Twisty" Trouble Code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with a "Twisty" Trouble Code

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
2004 Exp. 4.0L 4X4. "P-2106 TAC Forced Reduced Power". Throttle Actuator Control

First, "ABS" light, a bit later, "Brake" light, then "4X4 HIGH" flashes about 6 times, then stops. Some time later, that repeats, and an image of a "wrench" illuminates. No CEL, except one time, I deleted that and it has not returned, but while "ON", no other DTCs were found, only P-2106.

This started a few days ago. That first time, the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC), I noticed, was disabled, did not engage at all, and Speed Control was inoperative. TCC was only disabled that one time; driving daily since, it is OK. Upon starting out, no lights on for several miles, then ABS and BRAKE, all over again.

Funny thing is, the damned vehicle runs just fine, shifts perfectly normally, and I perceive no loss of power at all! Starts normally, idles normally, smooth-running in every way.

It has the single ABS sensor on rear ring gear, one on each front wheel. I'm thinking an intermittent sensor signal, but fail to see why Limp Mode would be called for, so leaning away from that. Speed sensors in transmission would throw shaft speed abnormality; no DTCs there.

The perfectly normal running suggests to me the drive by wire is working OK, so ruling out throttle actuator motor and gears. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) maybe? Scoured for hours on-line, one guy claims Mass Air Sensor (MAF) faulty. Seems to run too good, though. Anyone have ideas for me? Appreciate any! imp

Back