Trouble with automatic gear shifter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with automatic gear shifter

msfrancis33

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 92
This is my first post to this forum board and was wondering if I could get some advice and help.

I have a 92 explorer that is having problems with the auto gear shifter. During the last couple of days I noticed it had been a lot harder shifting to drive and park. Today I was trying to shift from park to reverse and it seemed to be stuck, it then poped and now the shifter slides back and forth really easy and doesnt seem to be grabbing anything.

It wont start so Im assuming it is stuck in a gear. Any suggestions what it might be and how to fix. Thank you!

Sounds like the linkage by the trani was loose and binding, now something just gave way and you have nothing. Slide under the 'X' and look at the linkage on the Drivers side of the Trani. Something might look real obvious.

Chock the tires first in case it starts rolling on you

Welcome to the Forum

I have similar problem with my new to me 2000 ranger 3.0 automatic.

Ever since the first time I drove it the shifter was very hard to move out of park and into drive. The amount of flex I put on it with one hand to get it out of park made me overshoot to 2nd. Now I have flushed the trans and have the correct amount of trans fluid in it and have sprayed lubricant (PB Blaster) on the actual linkage I still have no improvement.

Help please.

Back