Trouble with changing ambient temperature | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with changing ambient temperature

Johnsonmetro

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 explorer sport trac
First post, I have a 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4.6 V8 that I can't change the ambient outside temperature reading from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

Here is some basic information on the vehicle.
Manually adjusted climate control system.
Generation 1 Sync System
Standard Message Center
Select/Reset Stem in the instrument cluster.

I've followed the manual and gone through the procedure multiple time but the temp always reads in Celsius. Here are a few things I've tried.
Disconnected the battery to reset error/setting codes. Reset everything, but not the temperature readout.
Changed languages and Eng to Metric settings multiple times. No change
Gone through the Sync System looking for temperature settings. Found nothing.

One thing I noticed is the Select/Reset Stem sticks. To make it operate I have to push it in and manually pull it back to make it operate. Is this normal? Also has anyone looked inside a gauge cluster to see how the stem works? My thinking is if the stem is sticking, maybe something is preventing it from making contact with the circuit for controlling the reading for the temp readout.

Even though I'm getting pretty good at converting C to F, I'd rather have it read in F. Any ideas how to reset this?

Thanks

If the button to toggle between F and C has issues then this is where I would start. It seems like more of a mechanical malfunction with the button based on what you are saying is wrong with it. Do you have dual zone automatic climate control?

If the button to toggle between F and C has issues then this is where I would start. It seems like more of a mechanical malfunction with the button based on what you are saying is wrong with it. Do you have dual zone automatic climate control?
No it doesn't have the dual climate control system. It's the basic manual system, non-electronic. Also the Select/Reset stem is in the gauge cluster and all of the other functions (Trip A/B, Miles to Empty, Ave. Fuel MPG, etc.) work. Just not the ambient readout change. If I have to replace the gauge cluster ($$$$) to just get the temp readout to work I'll live with it the way it is. Or maybe there is something else I can try.

I don't ever recall anyone here having this specific issue. This will make it hard to come up with a solution. I agree with not going through the hassle of swapping out an instrument cluster to try and solve the problem. Heck, the problem might not be due to a bad cluster.

Back