• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with cold weather start

nctrader77

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Currently my Explorer has a very difficult time idleing when it is cold. I find anything below about 45 degrees causes real problems. I have to baby the throttle to keep it running. I have looked at the idle air control solenoid, but sure how to tell if it is good. There is no real build-up of visible carbon.

I am driving a 4.0 SOHC, 2000 model, with about 53K miles. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search on 00M12. I'm not sure if it applies to a 2000. But check into it. Does it get better after the truck warms up. If it does it is your lower intake gaskets.

mikeh

OOM12 pertains to all 4.0 SOHC engines.

Same problem

I have the same problem with my 98 EB, my mech told me I have to replace my intake gasket, they are leaking.

does the temp gauge ever move

Me Too

I have the same problem. What did you find out?

nctrader77 said:
Currently my Explorer has a very difficult time idleing when it is cold. I find anything below about 45 degrees causes real problems. I have to baby the throttle to keep it running. I have looked at the idle air control solenoid, but sure how to tell if it is good. There is no real build-up of visible carbon.

I am driving a 4.0 SOHC, 2000 model, with about 53K miles. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If you have the SOHC engine, Search for 00M12. It's likely the intake manifold gaskets as stated above.

Back